3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Got my shocks and struts.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
jonhankel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my shocks and struts.....

I finnaly got my shocks and struts in the mail Saturday. The rears look fine, and I got the boots and decals on them. The front struts are missing one top nut. Guess I will be calling Rancho tomorrow.

My other question is this: are the black covers supposed to be used in the install, or are they just a shipping piece? The reason I ask is because the metal end of the black piece does not fit over the threaded end of the strut. Another question I will be asking Rancho tomorrow.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
whistle pig
Rookie

Nice, you'll love the ride over the stock shocks. Those covers are your choice. I'd probably toss em. Our other car has those covers as part of the front and rear struts.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats man, you will love them.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know info on those black things, mine will be here next week and cant wait to get them installed Friday!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 PM
jonhankel
Default Some info on the flange nut

They are metric flange lock nuts. The size is M12-1.75 grade 8. I will check tomorrow at the local Fastenal, otherwise I will give Rancho a call.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 PM
tdister
Professional

Mine were missing the nuts, the local Fastenal didn't have anything suitable nor did anyone else. I could have made something work, thouhg. Ranch got me a nut very quickly.

And no on the black boots. Mine didn't have them

Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 AM
jonhankel

I got the rear shocks installed last night. Took about an hour by the time I had to find the sockets and and get them off. That passenger side it a b***h with the exhaust right in the way. My top bolts had the metal tabs on them still so at least I did not have to worry about getting a wrench on them.

I can already feel a difference in the ride with just those back ones on. My wife thinks I am crazy, but she does not ride in it all of the time.

Also worked on loosening the front bolts so it wont take me so long to change out the front struts. Those bottom strut bolts were rusted in the rubber bushing. I got them loose so they would turn, but did not take them all of the way out. I will wait until I can get an impact on them so I can spin and push them out.

Got the replacement nut from Rancho, but they sent the wrong size. My mechanic said he has some laying around, so I will probably just see if he has one that will work.

I left the camera at home, so I don't have any pics to show, but I will once I get the front done. Hopefully it looks as good as I think it will.

I am ordering my 1" rear blocks today and am having Stengal Bros. send me some u-bolts for the rear. If you have the 9.25 rearend, you have 7-1/4" x 3-1/2" x 9/16" u-bolts from the factory. So I am getting 8-3/8" long bolts. The price with shipping was $48 bucks.

Well, I will finish some notes after I get the front put together. Should get that done on Monday. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by jonhankel; 03-18-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

I got my rear ones installed yesterday myself... The rear shocks had no gas left in them. I can feel the difference already. My front were delivered today and being installed tomorrow... CANT WAIT! Mine came in with no nuts or those black caps, but i found some exact nuts to replace the ones that came with them. For anyone looking they are M12x1.75, 6mm height, HPT (high pressure tested) serrated hex flange nut. A hardened class 10 or 12 should be an except-able replacement.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 PM
koorbloh
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go hit some big potholes and let me know how it rides...

I had some issues last weekend where I was SIDEWAYS going over some potholes...

(*note: I may or may not have been trying to keep up with my friends on dirt bikes...)

Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

I am sitting in the mech shop as we speak and this black caps do go on the truck.
Red arrow shows the black caps!!

Old ones out of truck
323377606533.jpg

New Ranchos in truck (old ones completely gone ) glad they are out)
323377456517.jpg

Quick Reply: Got my shocks and struts.....