3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fluid changes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 AM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fluid changes...

I am thinking of ordering some AMsoil products for my tune-up and need some help. It's a pretty newbie question but I haven't done all this before. What is a good summer oil weight? Which fluids are good to use for transmission, brake line, differential; or is it better to just let the dealer put in what they put in?
Appreciate any info.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think 5w30 summer and 10w30 for the winter... I might have it backwards tho.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Moneyman19
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this winter i used 10w 40 for summer i usally use 10w 20 she runs quieter. im also using castrol gtx, so far i here gd things about AMsoil and royal purple.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Slick Dakota
Captain

mobil one synthetic in every fluid on the wifes jeep and my Dakota.. Cya Slick

Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

hey guys,

my truck just rolled over to 36k mark. The dealer is hot on the trail with sending the notice in the mail to come in and take care of everything. They wanted around 600 dollars to change out motor oil, tranny fluid, and the diffs. Way expensive?! I know everybody needs to make money in this ****ty economy we're in, but still. What do u guys do for a 36k service? I live in a small town so theres not much stop and go traffic and i dont even tow with my 4.7l HO. I checked my tranny fluid color and its clean as ever. It didnt show any sign of being burned or anything. Im just thinking of changing my motor oil as usual and replacing my brake pads. It seems like your paying the dealer just to "look/and-or Inspect" all the little stuff. However dealers make most of there money through the service department than selling cars...

Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 AM
scwpd
Veteran

if you haven't done it yet the 30k calls for plugs, dif, oil. the trans doesn't need services till 60k. just for info plugs every 30k, dif 15k, trans 60k acording to the book

Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Originally Posted by sethgtrx4
hey guys,

my truck just rolled over to 36k mark. The dealer is hot on the trail with sending the notice in the mail to come in and take care of everything. They wanted around 600 dollars to change out motor oil, tranny fluid, and the diffs. Way expensive?! I know everybody needs to make money in this ****ty economy we're in, but still. What do u guys do for a 36k service? I live in a small town so theres not much stop and go traffic and i dont even tow with my 4.7l HO. I checked my tranny fluid color and its clean as ever. It didnt show any sign of being burned or anything. Im just thinking of changing my motor oil as usual and replacing my brake pads. It seems like your paying the dealer just to "look/and-or Inspect" all the little stuff. However dealers make most of there money through the service department than selling cars...

You know what I did last time in, I negotiated a lower price because I said I wasn't going to pay what they wanted and it worked.. I about fell over but now if I need any thing done, I do it myself or I know plenty of guys out of work loving to make some money.. Cya Slick

Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

You can't change your Transmission fluid to often, it's good for it. Don't forget to change out the fluid in your transfer case as well.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
trucky
Record Breaker

Yeah transfer case was done for me last year because it was leaking, so that's taken care of...

Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
lmrjason
Veteran

I run amsoil 5w-30 year round and have no problems but the temperature isn't too extreme here either but if it is constantly over 100 degrees the book says 10w-30. I got amsoil in the differentials too. I think is was 75w-90 in the front and 75w-140 in the rear. I just have castrol atf-4 in the tranny and transfer case. And if you order amsoil, be sure and sign up for the 6 month preferred customer thing...it pays for itself in the first order. Definitely save yourself some money and knock it out yourself.

Quick Reply: Fluid changes...