3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need quick lighting info

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need quick lighting info

I got some LED replacement bulbs for the turn signals and tail lights, but they needed a resistor, so I got that but don't know how to install it. Well, I have the diagram here.. http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning...83296-1-3.html
it's in the picture section of this webpage.
But I have NO idea which wire is power, ground, etc. I even have a dakota/durango mechanic book but can't find the wiring info. Heres a picture, help? Also... the resitor goes in the wiring before that connector right? The wires in the worm tube? There is a red, white and green, black and green, and a white that runs straight from the bulb all the way back...
th084.jpg
th086.jpg

Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black should be your ground out of the three wires there. You can test for the turn signal pretty easily with a multimeter, measure the voltage between that wire and a point you know is grounded. Then turn on the parking lights and blinker on that side. If you're seeing a solid voltage that's the parking light, the wire you want should be going between 0 and 12v.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:01 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man I got it firgured out.... took my all day and 3 dodge stealerships (tried to charge me $50 to tell me which wire was which) but my turns and brake lights are now LED powered up! Will take night pictures later to show the difference on my picture thread

Oh and by the way EVERY SINGLE light. front, rear, pass, and driver EACH have their own variation of colors for each wire... there is no "ground is always black" rule here. It is based on the position of the wire coming out of the harness IE: the one in the middle is the reverse light, the left is ground, the one on the other end is power.... etc etc.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 PM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, the wiring on our trucks is nuts. I used a multimeter as well.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Moneyman19
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should do more of a write up? i was thinking about doign the led on the tial lights and new parking lights like u did.

Quick Reply: Need quick lighting info