3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Drivers Seat Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Leland107
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Seat Shifting

Hey guys,

Just bought an 05 Dodge about a month ago. Now that the new is wearing off I'm starting to notice a few things. One thing I wanted to ask about is the drivers seat. It seems to be shifting a little... almost as if something is a loose. I feel it when I make any sudden movements with the truck (sudden stops, turns, starts, etc). It's not terrible but being that it's only got 13,000 miles on it, I'm wondering if this is a common problem? Anyone having this issue and what's the fix?

BTW, this is a great forum. I lurk here everyday.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 AM
blakdak07
Veteran

I've not had this problem, but I'd start with the actual bolts that hold the frame to the floor.
BTW, it's good to her from you, and welcome.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this issue too, only recently (60k). I honestly think it is just the gears/locks wearing out that keep it in place... you can try tightening but these aren't the most quality bucket seats out there...

Old 04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Leland107

Originally Posted by trucky
I have this issue too, only recently (60k). I honestly think it is just the gears/locks wearing out that keep it in place... you can try tightening but these aren't the most quality bucket seats out there...
That sounds like what it may be... Like the gears haven't locked the seat into place securely. I feel a slight movement and hear a click when something causes my weight to shift. Do you have the power seat as well?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
dingdong2
Professional
Default same here

I have that problem too. It started when I was reaching for my wallet in my back pocket and putting a lot of force on the back of the seat, and then the seat moved back (as if i pulled the lever). Since then mine has been kind of loose.

2007 Dakota ST Manual. I just noticed that it has exactly 25,000 miles on it today.

It isn't that bad so I haven't worried about fixing it but if you find a fix please let me/us know.

Originally Posted by Leland107
Hey guys,

Just bought an 05 Dodge about a month ago. Now that the new is wearing off I'm starting to notice a few things. One thing I wanted to ask about is the drivers seat. It seems to be shifting a little... almost as if something is a loose. I feel it when I make any sudden movements with the truck (sudden stops, turns, starts, etc). It's not terrible but being that it's only got 13,000 miles on it, I'm wondering if this is a common problem? Anyone having this issue and what's the fix?

BTW, this is a great forum. I lurk here everyday.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:50 PM
tdister
Professional

Mine does it too, kind of annoying. It's just the seat back for me. the bottom stays put.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep it's the back of mine, non-power... it's stranger to me that a power seat would have this issue because they are usually less 'mobile' if you will as far as the back of the seat swinging back and forth. But...it is still technically the same exact seat as non-power so.... recall??

Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Yep only the seat back also. I am going to pull the seat out where I can work on it. If I adjust the back tilt it stays good most of the time until I get out and back into the seat then I have to do the process over again. If you look at the mechanism it is quite cheap looking. I will post what I find once I get into it.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

The seat back looseness problem can not be fixed. The bushing like tube on each side of the seat back supports just become enlarged from the seat back constant weight pressure. There is a torx bolt that holds the frame to the bottom support in the tube but they where very tight still. This causes play in the bushing tubes. The frame of the seat back would need to be replaced. If you can just buy the seat back stamped steel tube seat back frame then it would be fairly easy to remove and reinstall the seat cover and foam etc. I’m betting you can’t just buy the steel seat back frame. And yes it is made extremely cheap. I didn’t expect anything different.

Last edited by graythang; 02-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivers Seat Shifting