3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Important! Read Before May 7th If you Have a Superchips 3865 or 3950!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important! Read Before May 7th If you Have a Superchips 3865 or 3950!

So guys, I am so pumped right now! Ive been following this trans update from superchips, which you can tell from a couple of other threads .... but this deserves a thread all of its own. WE CAN GET THE TRANS OPTIONS FOR OUR TRUCKS! I did it this morning, messed with the torque management and it shifts awesome! So heres the deal:
With a VIN locked programmer, use the easy updater and perform your normal update. After the programmer is up to date, go to the "upgrades" screen if it doesnt pop up automatically. Next, near the upper left there should be a drop down menu with "programmer updates" selected. Click on that and select "vehical 01 upgrades" instead. Now, you should have one option available, "trans update." Click the purchase button, and go to your cart. Select "checkout" and enter in your information that it requires. Click the next button, and you will need to enter a valid credit card. Before you click next though, enter in the discount code "TRANS90" in the bottom box. After you click next, you should see your order details and it should be listed as "free." Click on the complete button, a little box will pop up stating your purchase is complete, and the programmer will then update.

This code is only valid until May 7th, after that it will cost $39.95

Now, have some fun! Take it to your truck, and perform the tuning process as normal. The trans setting are under the advanced tuning options. Before you can change any of the trans settings, you must go under the first options (Under torque managment, they are "Select Trq Tbls" and "WOT TrqMgt.") within the trans tuning, and select "user" instead of "superchips" .... this allows the tuner to use your preferences instead of superchips. There is a lot here, so make sure you are ready to sit down for a couple hours. The first time you take your truck out, none of the options will be noticable until your trans (or engine, which ever one ... Im not sure) is at operating temp. A cold truck runs a special shifting schedule, and then when at temperature it will change to the tuned program.

I have only messed with my torque management so far, and thats all I will do for a while as the tables for shift patterns are pretty deep. I have taken a lot of the individual TM options down to as low as 25%, leaving some at 70% and so on. The recommendation is that you leave some torque management, as the transmission will perform best with a little versus none at all. People with the rams have reported going as low as 8%. I wish I could stay on here longer, but Im gonna go play! Just wanted to let you guys in while you can get it for free! All I know is that my truck shifts firm through all gears now. It will pull through every shift, even at WOT which never happened before because the torque management was at 100%. Have fun everybody!

Last edited by rengnath; 05-05-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 AM
rengnath
Champion

And just so everyone knows .... this option was not to be available for the 4.7s right away. I dont know if something changed, or if it was a mistake. The update was supposed to be VIN locked, so I figured if I couldnt do it then it would come up with an error somewhere. But no error for me, and my truck is shifting awesome.

Update: On superchips facebook page, it was stated that the 4.7l configuration wasnt supposed to be released tilll the 11th, and that was posted an hour ago so something must not be right in their system?

Last edited by rengnath; 05-05-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM
lmrjason
Veteran

Yep, it works! I wish i had time to mess around with it today.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Not sure, maybe they were just ahead of schedule...doubtful, but who knows.

I downloaded it as well, and I changed some of my settings, and am going to take the truck out here in a little bit to play some to see how it feels. Hey it's 5 months late, but better late than never, I'm glad they finally released it.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, Im happy its here. Now the question is whether or not to play with the shift schedules. I might wait for superchips to do some of their beta testing like they did with the rams because there are shift schedules out there that people can just copy and fine tune to their liking. For now, I really like the tm feature .... Ive taken it down to about 10% and it will get your neck moving good!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
rick4dak
Veteran

I'm a little confused now. Does the tuner need to be VIN-locked or not ?
My SC 3865 arrived a short time ago but I still have the Jet chip installed and have not plugged the SC 3865 into my truck yet.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:35 PM
rengnath
Champion

Superchips says it needs to be VIN locked. They also said the update was only for the HEMIs, so who knows with them. lol. But Im pretty sure it needs to be VIN locked because you purchase the trans update for one vehical.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
If you were successful in downloading the files for your 4.7L be very careful as we do not have support setup for those models at this time.

We are planning to support them but need more test time. We do not recomend anyone download these files to their 4.7L until we can release a formal statement that they are 100%.

Scott

This was posted over in the Ram 3rd gen section. Ill probably leave mine on my truck, as I only messed with torque managment and everything is set to "superchips"

Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
thecause17
Veteran

I noticed something weird with the WOT torque management settings. After I made changes and downloaded them to the truck. The next time hooked the tuner back up, the WOT settings were weird numbers like 325%, 260%, etc....over the max of 100%. Can someone else look at theirs and see if theirs did this too? I changed them again and checked again and it did it again with slightly different numbers.

Quick Reply: Important! Read Before May 7th If you Have a Superchips 3865 or 3950!