3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah I was just lookin for the rotors... everywhere I went ppl thought I was crazy... lol I eneded up just buying those EBC rotors from a different site... the overnight shipping was only like 4 bucks :-D

Old 05-29-2010, 10:45 AM
sawfish
Professional
Default EBC Pads and Rotors

I ordered the EBC Pads and Rotors from autoanything, and installed them on my 05 Quad Cab at 36,000 miles. After 20,000 miles, I am very pleased with the increased stopping power, quiet operation (after break in), and almost complete lack of brake dust.

A couple of notes from an "experienced user". When I first installed the pads, there was an annoyiong whirring sound during break in. This was apparently caused by the slots in the rotors, but gradually disappeared.

The Green Stuff pads are oversized. This means that in some situations the edge of the pad might make slight contact with the raised center of the rotor. The instructions recommend that you check for possible contact, and grind down the inner edges of the pads. I did not do that on mine, and any fitting would be very minor. Otherwise, you might get an alarming metal to metal noise.

I have had two different auto supply shops tell me that it is not possible to turn slotted rotors. This would make for a very expensive throw away part. Check your rotors on a regular basis. Staving off replacement until you get the last sliver of use from your pads might cost you a set of rotors.

After all of the above, I think it is a good worthwhile mod. for the money.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 AM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by sawfish
I have had two different auto supply shops tell me that it is not possible to turn slotted rotors.
Pure BS from some more parts store "experts".

I turn drilled/cast in holes/slotted rotors all the time.

You think in a machine shop (real one, not parts store) they don't turn parts with holes etc. in them.

Brembo rotors, real ones not some knock-offs you find on Ebay, have cast in holes. Not cross-drilled. Less chance of cracking. After the rotors are cast with the hole and or slots, then they are turned to produce the braking surface.

So now if anyone in central NJ was their drilled/slotted rotors turned, send me a message. Then when I am done with them, post how you can't turn them.

First pair free if you bring them to me.

After that, post the results and everyone else take them to "your place" and tell the monkey behind the counter to get you a 185* thermostat for a 69 Beetle.

Quick Reply: New Rotors?