3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

MPG ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That post looked like a bot reply, or an idiot troll.

I love the idea of propane and LNG injection. Do your research though, engines love to breathe methane, and I'd imagine you will have to consider A/F ratio, timing, temperature...

GM is introducing temp-controlled grill louvers soon, since aerodynamics around and through the engine compartment are generally horrible.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:13 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cramerica
That post looked like a bot reply, or an idiot troll.

I love the idea of propane and LNG injection. Do your research though, engines love to breathe methane, and I'd imagine you will have to consider A/F ratio, timing, temperature...

i was thinking of just using something as simple as a BBQ regulator along with a needel valve (or something similar to control flow) and an electric valve, to see what happens, i would imagine at a low rate of flow, the computer should beable to adjust the A/F ratio, hopefully using less unleaded, and if the propane burns any more efficiently, i may be having something, but its all an expiriment for now, but if i keep playen with things, i'm bound to stumbel on something good...hopefully...

Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I strongly recommend you use equipment designed to fuel an internal combustion engine with propane or LNG.

Liquid propane and LNG are different, which do you have 500# of?

Your engine is expensive and electronic. BBQ quality hardware is cheap, inaccurate and worst, leak prone. Leaking flammable gasses have a habit of collecting and occasionally exploding. Be very careful. Seriously, I wouldn't do it.

If you can get automotive (i.e. diesel) grade gaseous fuel delivery, then it might be a safe and interesting experiment. I would also want a programmer.

Just don't blow yourself up...

Old 05-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a guy run that in a RX7 TURBO 580whp with great fuel economy.

seems dangerous

http://hydrogengarage.com/home.html

Old 05-29-2010, 12:31 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cramerica
I strongly recommend you use equipment designed to fuel an internal combustion engine with propane or LNG.

Liquid propane and LNG are different, which do you have 500# of?

Your engine is expensive and electronic. BBQ quality hardware is cheap, inaccurate and worst, leak prone. Leaking flammable gasses have a habit of collecting and occasionally exploding. Be very careful. Seriously, I wouldn't do it.

If you can get automotive (i.e. diesel) grade gaseous fuel delivery, then it might be a safe and interesting experiment. I would also want a programmer.

Just don't blow yourself up...
no worries... i know a little about the physics of it, and what products to use, as we run propane in the diesels, kind a like NOS in a gas engine, and we have a few gas vehicals here on the farm that we converted to run on propane, but they have pretty much been put to rest, engines still run fine, just old and falling apart, i know the two gasses are different, just need to adjust for what you want to run, but they arnt very far off from each other, and i have the propane sitting here, so might as well see what i can get out of it

Quick Reply: MPG ideas