3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Advice Wanted for Replacement of Brakes & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM
sullysdetailing
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Brale Performance Rotor slotted and dimpled. I have put 15k on them there great. I got them for $190 with free shipping and free pads

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...1410&ad=google

Old 06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
marker227
Professional

Will I notice a difference in stopping power with theses compared to the ones I have now?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sullysdetailing
I went with Brale Performance Rotor slotted and dimpled. I have put 15k on them there great. I got them for $190 with free shipping and free pads

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...1410&ad=google
I put the brakeperformance.com slotted and dimpled rotors on mine too along with the premium semi-metallic pads (they're not the free ones but they weren't that much more if I remember right). I had a local mechanic do the install as I simply didn't have the time and tools available right then and with a stuck caliper I couldn't wait, he said they seemed like high quality rotors to him and asked where I got them when I picked up the truck.

Definitely noticed better stopping power, which is good with the way the psychos on the roads of NJ drive. Eric has some on his Dak as well, I believe he's been happy with them.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 PM
marker227
Professional

Ouch.... $190? I guess they must be good for that price heh...

I'll try to get those when I get a few extra hundred.

I wonder how much a shop would charge to put them in...

Do you need a lot of tools to put these in?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

I think he said it took him a little over an hour to do the job so figure an hour to hour and a half labor rate + fluid if you're supplying the rotors and pads. In my case it was pretty pricy but most of that was the calipers, I stupidly didn't pick some up and he assumed given the premium rotors I brought I wouldn't settle for remanufactured calipers so he called up the dealer and got new OEM ones, you don't want to know how much those things cost...

Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
marker227
Professional

Do I need to buy calipers too?

I'm really new when it comes to this stuff .

All I know is the my front end shakes a lot when I break... It was suggested to me that I need new rotors... Any information you guys can give me would be great! I need to buy these items soon so I can change them out quickly .

Old 06-07-2010, 11:39 PM
sleds
Veteran

You shouldn't need calipers. It looks like Altair had a stuck caliper, so he had to replace his.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 PM
James3
Amateur

Originally Posted by Altair
I think he said it took him a little over an hour to do the job so figure an hour to hour and a half labor rate + fluid if you're supplying the rotors and pads. In my case it was pretty pricy but most of that was the calipers, I stupidly didn't pick some up and he assumed given the premium rotors I brought I wouldn't settle for remanufactured calipers so he called up the dealer and got new OEM ones, you don't want to know how much those things cost...
$170 each

I gotta get mine replaced on friday

Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Robk1971
Professional

I notice at brakeperformance.com they have three categories; Performance slotted, crossdrilled and slotted, and the premium dimpled and slotted. They say that the dimpled and slotted premium rotors don't sacrifice strength because the holes are not drilled completely through. Is it really an issue? I've known people to run drillesd rotors and they never had any problems with rotors breaking or failing in any way because they were drilled through completely.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:35 AM
marker227
Professional

I think I will buy those performance rotors from breakperformance.com and get these break pads as well:

SPECIAL PRICE PREMIUM SEMI-METALLIC BRAKE PADS

I read online that metallic break pads wear the rotors less... So, in my book that's a plus? Or, would you guys just take the free pads?

Last edited by marker227; 06-10-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice Wanted for Replacement of Brakes & Rotors