3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

False TPMS Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM
keithhud
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default False TPMS Light

So yesterday I am heading down I-5 cruising about 70-75 and the Low Tire Pressure light comes on. I pull over to take a look at tires. I do a walk around and all four tires look good.

I shut the truck off and then started it back up and the Low Tire Pressure light comes back on. So I decided to live with the light until I could make it home and check it out, however about a mile down the road the light goes out. First time since I’ve had the truck that the light as come on.

The outside temp was 104. No telling how hot the road was, are TPMS sensors susceptible to high heat conditions?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:21 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

Were you changing altitude?

I actually think that because of the heat, your tires would have more pressure than if it was colder outside (increased particle motion, etc.). If you have nitrogen in your tires then it probably wont make a difference or at least its not supposed to. I would check the pressure in all of your tires and increase pressure as required. That TPMS is very sensitive on some days. My wife's Jeep Patriot's TPMS always goes off on humid days. No idea why!

Last edited by popsnbeer; 07-19-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
DakDak
Default this happened to my truck aswell

this happened to my truck aswell, the dealership then did some digging and found the problem to be metal caps on the vavle stem, replaced with plastic ones and reset the computer, in 2005 Dodge stupidly did this and put metal caps on the stems. They did rust/corrode to the TPMS sensor and the sensors had to be replaced

hope this helps

Last edited by DakDak; 07-19-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
keithhud
Professional

popsnbeer and DakDak thanks for the input. No change in altitude just the low foothills and flatland (Between Tracy and Gustine) No nitrogen in the tires. I think I'll run it by the tire shop and have them check the sensors and see if I have metal caps. I should probably check this myself.

On real cold days the TPMS light on my wifes Expedition will stay on for a few miles until the tires warm up so I understand they can be sensitive.

Thanks again.

Last edited by keithhud; 07-19-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
Plastic caps are a must. our calibers tire pressure monitors wont even work with a metal cap on.
this makes sence, im not really sure how the sensors work but im sure they need to see a press diferential, and with a metal cap, a slow leak from the valve stem could pressurize it internally, equalizing the pressure there fore making it think it has 0psi? or close to it? where a plastic cap wont hold the press in, just thinking out loud... but my 08 has metal caps from the facory, no problems yet, but we'll see,

and a side note, if it becomes an annoying problem, you could use it as a good excuse to buy a superchip and disable the tpms

Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
keithhud
Professional

[quote=and a side note, if it becomes an annoying problem, you could use it as a good excuse to buy a superchip and disable the tpms[/quote]

Hahaha. I like that suggestion. Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I think I will swing by the autoparts store and pick up some plastic caps and swap them out.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: False TPMS Light