3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Load levelers, Air bags, et al

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Load levelers, Air bags, et al

So, what have you installed? Which works best? I've seen some from Firestone and some from a place called Airbagcompany.com

I just want something on the truck for those time when the leaf springs go flat, which isn't a good thing...

Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Air Lifts on my truck. I went to a buddy of mine who owns a couple of tire stores to order me a set of Firestone bags. I knew he sold/installed quite a few to farmers who towed/hauled all the time.

He talked me out of the Firestones at the time because he said a LOT of sets he installed were having issues with the bags dry rotting after only a couple years. He since started selling Air Lift bags and never had the issue. So I bought the Air Lifts on his recommendation. Good thing too, because I later lifted my truck and the Firestone mount system is a no go with a body or suspension lift.

Love mine, use them often...

Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

'Air Lifts'? From where?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I got my buddy to order it from his wholesaler, but his cost was $181 (saw the invoice myself) and I've seen 'em for about the same price on Amazon.com.

Any truck accessory place would have/can get them. Summit, 4 Wheel Parts, LMC Truck, Jeggs, etc. Hell, even Advance Auto lists them, most stores get them from local warehouse in a day, but they want like $239 for 'em...

Here is the set I have, even cheaper than what I paid "wholesale". I'm assuming since my Ram and a Dak has the same rear it'll fit, but check to be sure:

http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-59501-Con...9648952&sr=8-1

I didn't mess with the on-board compressor or auto level kit or any of that stuff, just mounted the included fill valve on my receiver hitch:

HPIM2897.jpg

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-20-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:35 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I got my buddy to order it from his wholesaler, but his cost was $181 (saw the invoice myself) and I've seen 'em for about the same price on Amazon.com.

Any truck accessory place would have/can get them. Summit, 4 Wheel Parts, LMC Truck, Jeggs, etc. Hell, even Advance Auto lists them, most stores get them from local warehouse in a day, but they want like $239 for 'em...

Here is the set I have, even cheaper than what I paid "wholesale". I'm assuming since my Ram and a Dak has the same rear it'll fit, but check to be sure:

http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-59501-Con...9648952&sr=8-1

I didn't mess with the on-board compressor or auto level kit or any of that stuff, just mounted the included fill valve on my receiver hitch:

According to Amazon.com, that particular kit don't fit the 2006 Dakota. They have this one: http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-59555-Con...tive&carId=001

BUT it looks very similar to the one that does that I saw on http://www.airliftcompany.com/index....bagcompany.com not airbagcompany.com

Oh, it is the same one... DOH! Now I need to compare prices....

Old 07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

And somehow, I'm planning on a compressor as it always seems that I need the extra lift when I don't have available compressed air around. Like out in the woods, or at Home Depot...

Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hwcurtice
And somehow, I'm planning on a compressor as it always seems that I need the extra lift when I don't have available compressed air around. Like out in the woods, or at Home Depot...
i run air bags only in the rear of my 75, i pulled an automatic height control valve off of a semi, and hooked it up to my bags, then ran a 12v compressor straight to the valve with no tank, so it always stays in the same position at all times, if i put a load on it the comp cycles for just a second to mantain height, then if i remove the load, the valve releaces presseure, just a thought, it works really well for me

Old 07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I didn't mess with it as I keep a 12v compressor in my toolbox, have a large compressor in my garage, have a 220v compressor at the farm and keep a small 12v in my ATV (and it has a 12v plug). Just an expense I didn't figure I needed.

My ATV is the reason I bought it. Because of my toolbox, almost ALL of it's 700# resides behind my rear axle. Made my low beams hit the tree tops at night! Rear end actually sat lower with the ATV in the bed than when I pull the 7700# tractor.

Max capacity of the bags is 100# of air and just 30# keeps me dead level with the ATV in the bed.

0430080937a-1.jpg

Old 07-20-2010, 03:22 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

It's mostly finding a place to stick the compressor where its not only protected from the elements, but also not blocking anything. I don't really want a tank anywhere as that is just a lot of weight I really don't want or need. I'm not running an air horn on this... yet...

Quick Reply: Load levelers, Air bags, et al