3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Catch Can Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-26-2010, 11:30 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics! I guess they changed things around in 08. My PCV comes off the oil fill tube on the passanger side of the engine bay. Its a little crammed over there so Im going to have fun finding a spot for it. I was going to put it on tonight but I need to get a fitting to adapt the hoses to the right sizes. I did get the breather installed though.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Moneyman19
Captain

more pics... im deff looking forward to purchasing this when i get my truck back along with shocks.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's how a baffled (vented) catch can works. This is not to scale, but you get the general idea.

Catchcan.jpg

Catchcan2.jpg

Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
rengnath
Champion

Thanks donkeypunch. You could use that on our breather hoses, but on the PCV system that would just create a huge vacuum leak. I had to take my can yesterday and put some RTV around the nozzels so they would be air tight. They couldnt hold any pressure. Anything on the PCV system has to be air tight and able to hold vacuum, and boost if you have it.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by rengnath
Thanks donkeypunch. You could use that on our breather hoses, but on the PCV system that would just create a huge vacuum leak. I had to take my can yesterday and put some RTV around the nozzels so they would be air tight. They couldnt hold any pressure. Anything on the PCV system has to be air tight and able to hold vacuum, and boost if you have it.
Thats why you cap off the other side

Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM
rengnath
Champion

If you plug the vacuum for the PCV though wont it stall the engine?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by rengnath
If you plug the vacuum for the PCV though wont it stall the engine?
Not that I am aware of. Unless I am missing something, you should be able to run a hose from the valve cover to the vented catch can, and cap off the hose barb that is located on the intake (where ever the PCV valve plumbs to). This is the setup I have on the Talon. Or you can run a sealed can that seperates the air and oil (but then you get hot air that goes into the intake).

Last edited by donkeypunch; 07-27-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

dodgetrucker, where does the other end of the hose go to? and where do you have your ait installed since you have the hole for it plugged in your cai?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:14 AM
rengnath
Champion

Heres my catch can. I got it all set up and ready to go. I hooked it up for a minute, but Im still questioning whether or not it will be able to handle the pressure from the vacuum. Im going to try and figure out a way to pressure test it, becaues the last thing I want is a vacuum leak. It couldnt hold any pressure when I first got it, but I sealed up the connections on the can with rtv sealant. But in the picture, the hose facing towards the can connects to the PCV valve, and the hose facing away from the can connects to the vacuum hose. With the adapters I made up, no modifications have to be made to the truck. Just remove the current hose and tighten up a couple clamps. I did install it on the truck and ran it for a minute, but then took it off. I plan on mounting it on the side of the fan shroud.
2010-07-27_221944.jpg

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can Set-up