3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Catch Can Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is clearly NOT the Dak's engine bay, but the configuration I have on the race car for venting the crank case with a catch can "breather" style.

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

For this car, the oil cap is actually a CNC billet cap that is internally baffled, therefore I do not need a baffled catch can. The PCV valve is completely removed and plugged, and the breather hose (that goes to the intake) is also routed to the catch can (not shown). Every time I pull the intake manifold, the only residual substance in the runners is carbon (camshaft profile overlap), no oil whatsoever. In addition to this information, (turbocharged) the single -10 line is adaquate to vent the crank case @25psi of boost

Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
dodgetrucker, where does the other end of the hose go to? and where do you have your ait installed since you have the hole for it plugged in your cai?
the other hose goes straight into the intake, i gust cut the pcv line (which is hard plastic), and plumbed the can in between, and the iat must be different on the 08's too, it is up closer the the filter,

rengnath, i wouldnt worrie to much about it leaking, pressure will leak a lot eaiser and in more places than a vacuum, and a pcv is just a controled vacuunm leak anyway, so even if you did have some sort of small leak, it should be something the iac can take care of with no issues

Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Ill probably try hooking it up today. Now Im running regular vacuum hose from the hardware store. To connect the CC to the PCV valve, the hose has to do a 180 turn. If I keep the loop big enough, do I have to worry about that hose collapsing or kinking itself with the vacuum?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

vacuum hose shouldnt kink very easy unless its a very tight bend, and you will know right away it its going to

Old 07-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

im gonna buy this along with shocks when i get my truck back. btw anyone have the link on how to take off the front shocks? back to topic im thinking about running this can but instead of hooking it back to my cai im gonna put a breather on the end of the hose? that should be fine correct?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

the catch can will be inline with the pcv hose, dont put the breather on it, if you want to run the breather filter, you would plug the hole in the cai and put the filter on the valvecover where that line hooks up, they are two different setups

Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Some info for you guys to do what you want with.

On all our cars, race or otherwise, we run the system closed. No venting of the gasses. BY doing such the breather system works cleaner and also uses the vacuum to help seal the rings in the engine.

Yes, the little amount of vacuum wasted out the vent will help seal the rings. Doing such allows for less oil use, better power, and no chance of oil spray coming out of the breather making a mess or catching fire.

This has been proven many times over with Pro engine builders.

My can is mounted inline with the breather hose.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by NJJer
Some info for you guys to do what you want with.

On all our cars, race or otherwise, we run the system closed. No venting of the gasses. BY doing such the breather system works cleaner and also uses the vacuum to help seal the rings in the engine.

Yes, the little amount of vacuum wasted out the vent will help seal the rings. Doing such allows for less oil use, better power, and no chance of oil spray coming out of the breather making a mess or catching fire.

This has been proven many times over with Pro engine builders.

My can is mounted inline with the breather hose.
thats not completely accurate, yes in race applications, some use a crankcase evacuation system to try to pull a vacuum in the crankcase, but that is not the case with a pcv system, it is nothing more than a emmision control device, it doesnot flow enough to even come close to pulling a vacuum, even if it did the vent is wide open, so no chance of crankcase vacuum in our engines, and if we had enough flow out of the breather in our engines to spray oil out of it, chances are you would also be picking up pieces of you engine off the steet after it exploded, having a filter on the breather is absolutly no different than having it plumbed in to the cai, both of them are open breathers with a filter, only difference is, it wont make a mess in the TB or intake manifold after years and many miles of build up

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 07-31-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:18 PM
NJJer
Veteran

My replies in bold.Not trying to start a fight, just provide actual facts based upon real world experience and knowledge.

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
thats not completely accurate, yes in race applications, some use a crankcase evacuation system to try to pull a vacuum in the crankcase, but that is not the case with a pcv system, it is nothing more than a emmision control device, it doesnot flow enough to even come close to pulling a vacuum,
False. When each piston moves up and down it creates pressure. Pressure on the down stroke is what will push oil vapors out into the PCV system. The intake system, where the hose from the PCV usually goes is under vacuum. So between the positive crankcase pressure and the negative in the intake tract, this is how oil is introduced.

even if it did the vent is wide open, so no chance of crankcase vacuum in our engines,
See above

and if we had enough flow out of the breather in our engines to spray oil out of it, chances are you would also be picking up pieces of you engine off the street after it exploded,
Go to a roadrace track and tell that to the guys running street Vettes and Vipers. That is just 2 of many street cars that have oil out the breather as a problem.

having a filter on the breather is absolutly no different than having it plumbed in to the cai,
Wrong, first off the breather just vents and having it plumbed will create a vacuum and help ring seal. Look it up for yourself, don't believe me. Ask some other professional engine builders. Real ones, ones whose cars race.

both of them are open breathers with a filter, only difference is, it wont make a mess in the TB or intake manifold after years and many miles of build up
Plumbing in a catch can with no breather and running the return tube to the intake tract will not allow any oil vapors into the engine. That is if you have a "real" catch can. Not an $20 Ebay one with no baffles and baffles in the proper orientation.

But then again what do I know..... I only build these stupid things. I don't have this job because I am an internet warrior.

Like I said,,, research with others in the business.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can Set-up