3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Catch Can Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:30 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can Set-up

I ordered a catch can and its coming in the mail today!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Ill be installing it when I get home, and Ill post up the pics for you guys.

Ill be putting it between the PCV valve and intake manifold. I also picked up a breather filter, but I dont think Ill need it. I was going to install it on the breather hose that currently connects to my intake, but there should be no need for the breather filter as no gasses/oil should be coming through that hose to go in the intake. If I dont need it, Ill take it back and save the $10. What do you guys think, install the breather filter or just leave the hose connected to the intake?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts
Question

I'm trying to figure out why something like this is needed in the first place...

Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I'm trying to figure out why something like this is needed in the first place...
It prevents oil (blow-by) from making it in to the intake manifold. At high RPMs the crankcase produces blow-by which consists of an oily sludge and gasses. For emissions, this is all routed in to the intake manifold to be burned. Under normal driving, blow-by isnt a big deal. But when youre young and dumb like me and drive it like you stole it, youd be suprised how much oil makes it through that hose and in to the intake, gumming things up and hurting performance, gas mileage, and your engine. A catch can prevents this oil from making it in to the intake manifold, keeping it clean.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

ahhh, i get it.....well, young and dumb or old and bold (and dumb, but that don't rhyme), we all drive em like we stole em...wouldn't you need one on the breather and the PVC as they both do kind of the same thing, right? Let the crankcase breath?

Post some pics when you get it mounted up.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats the same one i installed, i put the breather on mine just for the thought of keeping the TB and sensors clean, the pcv is drawing on the crankcase but not a lot of volume, so is blow by exceeds the pcv flow, it will go through the breather tube...

for the install, i enlarged one of the holes on the provided bracket and bolted it up to the master cylinder mounting bolt, looks like it belongs there, and i cut the hard plastic pcv line in half, and with a little wd40 and the correct words, i was able to strech the proviced hose over the pcv line and its a nice tight fit

Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
rengnath
Champion

Ill definetly take pics. Im glad I picked up that breather filter. It looks like Ill be installing both of those tonight, fixing a bushing on my sway bar link, finish painting my bumper air scoop, and installing a new MAP sensor. I wish my Fastman wouldve came in the mail today .....

Hows your catch can working dtrucker? Do you have any oil accumulating yet?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

nothing in the sight tube yet, but the lines are a different story, the inlet to the tank is black, and the outlet is just dark, so it must be doing something, but i only have about a 1000 miles on it, i still need to put on my trans, pcv and egr coolers, i touched that tank the other day after driving it, and WOW! that thing was hot, so cooling that gas should be a good thing for it, just been busy with work, durby cars, and overload of ford side work...

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

got any pics dodgetrucker?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

got any pics dodgetrucker?
i will tonight when i get home, i'm about 40 miles away from from the dak at the moment

Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
rengnath
Champion

wouldn't you need one on the breather and the PVC as they both do kind of the same thing, right? Let the crankcase breath?
Under normal circumstances, the breather should be bringing in air to the crankcase as the pcv vents the air out. (The breather relieves the vacuum in the crankcase) But I guess they both vent out blow by when the engines blow by exceeds the PCVs flow capacity. So technically, on an emissions controlled vehical I would need a catch can on both to completly prevent oil from making it to the intake. However, the PCM cant tell where the breather hose is hooked up so by re-routing it and putting a breather filter on it, it will prevent oil and blow by gases from going through the throttle body and I wont get a CEL. I will need a catch can on between the PCV and intake manifold though because thats a vacuum, and if I just put a breather on the PCV valve, blow by gasses wouldnt be completly removed from the crankcase (as the vacuum sucks them out) and then I would also have to do something with the vacuum line. Atleast thats my understanding.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can Set-up