3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

The ultimate Dak towing mirror installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:16 PM
sleds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ultimate Dak towing mirror installed

Since I am going to be towing a 23ft travel trailer, I have looked for some time for a proper towing mirror. This mirror is the only one I have found, a Mopar mirror.
I'll be towing this
IMG_0293.jpg

So this is what I did. I started by taking the four main screws that hold the door panel in place. They are located here,
IMG_0287.jpg

here,
IMG_0286.jpg

here,
IMG_0285.jpg

and here,
IMG_0284.jpg

Step 2, next you pull straight UP on your inner panel, slides up and lifts off. If you want it right off you unplug the electrical connections on the power windows etc. and end up with this

and this is the inner door,
IMG_0277.jpg

Step 3, now you have the three bolts and the plug that connects your power adjustment, heat etc. if you have those options here,

Undo those three bolts and the plug and pull your mirror off. Don't drop it, I didn't but I don't imagine it would be pretty. Now take your new mirror, mine looks like this compared to the old sport mirror.
IMG_0278.jpg

slide it on and bolt it in place. Because I definately don't want to lose these puppies, I put washers on to help strengthen them and used loctite on the bolts. It should look like this,
IMG_0281.jpg

So now, instead of the mirror looking like this,
IMG_0273.jpg

It looks like this,
IMG_0274.jpg

Now the mirrors look like this all of the way in,

and like these all of the way out,
IMG_0291.jpg
and
IMG_0289.jpg

and this is the back side of them, these babies are huge.
IMG_0270.jpg

Step 5, put the door panel in place, slide it down and install the four screws back in place.
Now that I have done this once, I think I could change them out in about 15 minutes for both mirrors.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM
sleds
Veteran

Originally Posted by ericemery
holy crap, those puppies stick out there... lol
Yeah, there definately not for everyone. But in the fall when I hit the dirt trails hunting etc I will probably put the sports back on there so they don't get torn off. They do fold in as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

lol they are definitely a aquired taste, i like em makes the truck look like dumbo lol the 2nd gen daks that were pre '00 had dumbo mirrors too lol

Old 06-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dang those do stick out, a little to much for everyday driving. But for towing they are perfect.

I tow my 24ft trailer. I use a universal clip ons like these ones.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Dinger838
Veteran

i like them.. how much and where

Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 PM
sleds
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dinger838
i like them.. how much and where
They are a Mopar product. I think they list for $430 or so in the states. I got them from my Dodge dealer, they give me 10% or so off my stuff there, no shipping charges. They are full power, so if you have power adjustment it works as does your heat etc. Pricey, but a nice product.
Mopar part # 82210875

Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, my question is "why couldn't Mopar offer the same style mirror that is on the rams?" You know, the quarter turn doo-dads. Oh well, I suppose you sacrifice looks for fuctionality. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:59 PM
sleds
Veteran

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
So, my question is "why couldn't Mopar offer the same style mirror that is on the rams?" You know, the quarter turn doo-dads. Oh well, I suppose you sacrifice looks for fuctionality. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
That is what I looked and looked for with no luck. Now for those who are maybe looking for a towing mirror and don't like these, mirrors from the new 1500 will fit our trucks. I found this out in the instructions.

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Dang those do stick out, a little to much for everyday driving. But for towing they are perfect.

I tow my 24ft trailer. I use a universal clip ons like these ones.

I tried those, but the sport mirrors are so rounded they wouldn't work. I had to buy new mirrors of some kind so went all out. I will have to take pics of the whole truck, they actually don't look that bad.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

ive always wondered if the 3rd gen mirrors would work on a 2nd gen, they look pretty cool

Quick Reply: The ultimate Dak towing mirror installed