3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

new paint job possibly

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:00 PM
keachers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new paint job possibly

well being in el paso tx the hail storms and sand storms have taken its toll on my truck. My windows are pitted from the sand blasting against them so now im thinking of doing an insurance claim for the damages and getting it repainted but hopefully a different color. i like the viper red with the white racing stripes so thats what im thinking. what do yall think?? any suggestions or pics of different colors would be nice but im looking for something out of the ordinary.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Never, never repaint a vehicle a different color. It will haunt you as long as you own it and when you try to sell or trade it. The original color is just behind every chip and in a million places where it did not get the new paint. I have known many people who did this and not one would ever do it again. Just get it shot the original factory paint code by a good paint shop that knows how to really repaint a vehicle. I'm just saying. And yes the factory glass they use these days is crap soft. I never seen glass pit so easily

Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Brian9
Veteran

Different color will cost alot more provided you plan on doing it properly and doing all the door jams, under hood, bed, etc. Also it may have a negative effect on your resale value, if a potential buyer does a carfax and sees you car states it was color A and now it is color B they will think it may have been wrecked or it was damaged another way.

If those factors do not matter to you, then go for it! I did on my eclipse but I had it painted inferno pearl red which is not a far shot from the Cayene Red pearl it came with from the factory and had every inch of the car sanded down and painted the new color. But I did so knowing I was keeping it for awhile and it would be worth hardly anything when I get rid of it anyways lol. Painted it the first year I got it and had it for ten years now.

Last edited by Brian9; 07-31-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like blue and silver combos.

or yellow and black

Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 PM
keachers
Professional

ive known 2 people so far here that have had their cars repainted different colors and the shop that did it did an outstanding job. they did all the door jams and everything. as for the resale of my truck im not looking to get rid of it for many more years. anyways im just throwing ideas around who knows maybe ill have it repainted the factory blue with bigger metallic flakes then have white racing strips painted on it with blue metallic flakes, who knows my possibilities could be endless

Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keachers, its your truck brother do with it what you want. I believe in go big or go home. Everyone wants to play it safe, but when your 70 you can look back and say I had the most bad azz truck possible.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:43 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Quick Reply: new paint job possibly