3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

couple quick magnaflow questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
BlackDak07HO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New MBRP Exhaust

Just got my MBRP dual catback system today. Spent about 4 hours in / out of under the truck (Grandkids were here today, had to play a little). The most time was spent getting the old exhaust off (1-1/2 to -2 hrs?). Didn't have to cut anything, just hard to get at with truck raised only a few inches off ground, a lift or even ramps would have been nice.
New system went on really well, although did have to notch the top front of the first pipe to match the Y-pipe. No big deal. All parts fit together well, good clearance all round. Tightened all clamps and drove off - sounds great!! not too loud, nice mellow rumble like I wanted. Smooth at idle or cruise, louder growl on acceleration. Not too loud in cab at all. Perfect. Glad I went MBRP, Glad I went duals.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
rengnath
Champion

Looks awesome! Glad you like it. It sounds even better after you break it in after a few thousand miles.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM
jtmdakota
Amateur

Originally Posted by rengnath
Dual plugs came in 2008. I thought one was at the bottom of the cylinder, and one on the top. Mr Crash changed his ones on top but wasnt looking forward to doing the ones on the bottom. Im not sure if he meant the bottom of the head or bottom of the cylinder, all I know is there are 2 plugs per cylinder on the 08 4.7ls.

If MBRP makes a single system, a dual should be coming out soon. Maybe give them a call.
Plugs are in the head, one set along the top, one set along the side. Haven't tried to get at them so don't know how hard it is.

I have emailed MBRP now too asking about a dual system for '09. After I emailed I saw that they are located in Hunstville Ontario. Maybe I should offer them my truck for test fitting and they can give me a good discount ;o)

Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Looks great! Need to post a sound clip!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:41 PM
jtmdakota
Amateur

I have now contacted both MBRP and Magnaflow. I had quick response from both, however no one is really sure why the 2009 is different, only that it is. Magnaflow has a new part number coming, but is not available just yet. MBRP has single side exit systems available but no information on whether a dual system will be offered for the 2009.

MBRP did offer that their sales dept might be able to schedule me in for a custom system, but I haven't contacted them to check this.

As a side note, I also contacted Superchips. They too, have no information on availability for 2009 Dakota application.

I'm starting to feel no one wants me to modify my 2009 Dakota Either that, or it's already perfect the way it is, lol.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:59 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by jtmdakota
I have now contacted both MBRP and Magnaflow. I had quick response from both, however no one is really sure why the 2009 is different, only that it is. Magnaflow has a new part number coming, but is not available just yet. MBRP has single side exit systems available but no information on whether a dual system will be offered for the 2009.

MBRP did offer that their sales dept might be able to schedule me in for a custom system, but I haven't contacted them to check this.

As a side note, I also contacted Superchips. They too, have no information on availability for 2009 Dakota application.

I'm starting to feel no one wants me to modify my 2009 Dakota Either that, or it's already perfect the way it is, lol.
Be careful getting something directly from MBRP incase they charge you MSRP on their exhaust. The exhaust model I got MSRPed at $825 .... but I only paid $520 from an online dealer. Just a word of warning, hopefully you can get if for free

Superchips should come out with something soon for your 2009. They already support 2008 so it shouldnt be too much longer. It adds alot more power to the new models than it did to the 05-07 .... I believe somewhere around 50hp.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Kerwinvega0
Default Anyone just installed the MagnaFlo Universal and left the 2 resonators?

Hey Everyone,

I use my truck as a weekend driver and for off roading..06 dakota 3.7l, have levlling kit, add a leaf in the rear and 3 inch body lift with 33's on it.. have a AFE Pro Dry High Flow drop in Air Filter also to let more into the engine.

Looking for the sound and added hp of the magnaflo but do not care what it looks like and only want single in single out.. less to get hung up on well off road..

Has anyone just bought the part # 12256 the 5x8 18 inch oval 2.5 (seems to be what is in the cat back kit but not polished).... and just had it installed in place of the factory muffler and left both resanators?

Any comments would be great if anyone has done this?
If anyone has done this what was the sound like... Did you notice any increase in power?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

After looking at some of the available systems, I think I'll buy a muffler, some mandrel J-bends, and spend an afternoon or so, making my own exhaust system.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerwinvega0
Hey Everyone,

Has anyone just bought the part # 12256 the 5x8 18 inch oval 2.5 (seems to be what is in the cat back kit but not polished).... and just had it installed in place of the factory muffler and left both resanators?
I have the magnaflow #12256 muffler installed with no resonators. It sounded quiet with the front resonator only, so that came out as well, love the sound now. I have the 4.7, so it will not sound the same though.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FLOWMASTER lol "THATS' ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT"

Quick Reply: couple quick magnaflow questions