3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Looking for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You might have hit the proverbial nail right on the head, I got a buddy who put a set of "E" rated, heavy ply tires on his Tacoma and never could get the things balanced, the things started cupping on him and he pulled 'em after only 12,000 miles. Replaced them with a set of Kuhmo something or others and never had a problem with them...
Yeah Hammer. I solve the cupping issue by rotating frequently and evaporating a layer of rubber by depressing both pedals simultaneously.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 PM
sugarray
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't bought tires, here is my .02 cents. I had a set of BFGs on a Tacoma and they did great for the most part. Did not do well in the snow. I live in WV, go off road for hunting, and just did not like the grip of them on the snow. Got over 50,000 miles before I traded truck and had no concerns.
Did some research b/c wife's explorer needed tires and got the Firestone Destination A/T. I think these are awesome!! Great on road, no extra noise. Go great in any weather. With all the snow we had last year she had no trouble getting in and out of her parent's unplowed, gravel road. Sometimes with 4-6 inches of snow. I am going to put a set on my 09 Dakota for hunting and winter and then swap out for the stock SRAs for the summer.
Just my opinion. Look at tire rack, customer reviews count more than dealer quotes, for me.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a good Idea too look around and see what kinda deals you can get! also if you tell them that another place had them for like 50 bucks cheaper...lol most of the time in my experience they most always will be like we can match it or beat it...so dont let em tell you what the price is haggle with em!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
rengnath
Champion

I switched to 265/70/16s from 245/70/16 and I love the new tire size. Gives your truck an inch of lift and with more rubber between the rim and the road allows for a smoother ride, with a little less handling. I went with the BFG A/Ts and love them, and I feel they do excellent in the snow. Dry onroad though, its not hard to get them to break loose.
I had 245/70/16 Destination A/Ts and I hated them. They gripped dry pavement and did ok on wet roads, but when it came to snow they would never grip down to the pavement. It seemed that I was constantly going sideways around turns in 4wd with barley feathering the gas. I personally would never put another firestone tire on my truck.

BF Goodrich has my heart ..... and my wallet

Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM
00dakSport
All Star

i was going to get the bfgs but they where to much for me. i got a similar looking tire, General at2 31x10.5r15 . an aggressive tread on this tire and there rated m+s. so far i've had them in the rain and a little mud and they've done fine. just a cheaper option from a good brand.

Quick Reply: Looking for new tires