3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Interior (dome) Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

No resistor. I have LED's in all the interior lights, high mount stop light, cargo lights and license plate lights and don't have any issues with them. I do know when i go for the turn signals that I will need a resistor to keep the flasher happy. What is the CAN-B anyway and what kind of issues?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most LEDs come with resistors already installed from what I have seen. They are normally ready to hook up to a 12v source.

I thought the CAN-BUS didnt do anything with the lights until 2006 model years?

Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Of course now I gotta take them all out because they are blue and apparently having blue interior lighting is illegal in north carolina....dang I can't win....lol...anyone need some blue LED interior lights??

Old 09-10-2010, 10:43 AM
rengnath
Champion

Is it illegal while driving, or at all times?

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

NC law states: c) It is unlawful for any person to possess a blue light or to install, activate, or operate a blue light in or on any vehicle in this State, except for a publicly owned vehicle used for law enforcement purposes or any other vehicle when used by law enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "blue light" means any forward facing blue light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle; or an operable blue light which:
(1) Is not (i) being installed on, held in inventory for the purpose of being installed on, or held in inventory for the purpose of sale for installation on a vehicle on which it may be lawfully operated or (ii) installed on a vehicle which is used solely for the purpose of demonstrating the blue light for sale to law enforcement personnel;
(1a) Is designed for use by an emergency vehicle, or is similar in appearance to a blue light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and
(2) Can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery, the vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery.
(c1) The provisions of subsection (c) of this section do not apply to the possession and installation of an inoperable blue light on a vehicle that is inspected by and registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles as a specially constructed vehicle and that is used primarily for participation in shows, exhibitions, parades, or holiday/weekend activities, and not for general daily transportation. For purposes of this subsection, "inoperable blue light" means a blue‑colored lamp housing or cover that does not contain a lamp or other mechanism having the ability to produce or emit illumination.

So even though the initial section pertains to "forward facing" blue lights, section 2 makes it apply to any blue light that is powered by the vehicles electrical system, i.e. interior lights. Guess I should have read the law first....lol

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-10-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
rengnath
Champion

Ouch, I wouldnt have even checked because I would just figure as long as the vehical was parked, that show lights could be operated. Ive wanted to light up my interior, but with red.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

i installed some LEDs under the dash butyi wired them in to come on with my dash lights at night lol

Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM
sullysdetailing
All Star

I have 2 12'' White LED stripes I need to install in my truck for the drive/passenger foot well. I am going to wire it so it come out when you open the door, turn on all the interior light, and I might have a switch as well

Already have 6000K LED in both domes

Old 09-10-2010, 12:39 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
NC law states: c) It is unlawful for any person to possess a blue light or to install, activate, or operate a blue light in or on any vehicle in this State, Guess I should have read the law first....lol

F that bullsh** seriously its not like your gonna come rushing up on someones a$$ flashing them blue lights god i hate some laws

Quick Reply: Interior (dome) Light Wiring