3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Interior (dome) Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:18 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tannam13
I want to install LEDs into the front overhead console and the back dome light along with lights along the floor board that come on when you open the doors and unlock the truck and turn the dome light **** all the way up, what would be the simplest way to accomplish that?
Absolute easiest way is to tie into the positive wire that runs to your dome light. Your dome light should be positive switched, meaning that the power wire is only hot when triggered, such as the door being open, or the dash light switch rolled up. I had a 2006 Ram, and the wire I tied into was in the drivers side A pillar. One thing I would suggest, is to run that wire to a switch, so that you have a master "off". All you have to do is tap into the wire running to the dome light, run that wire to a switch, and then run that to your lights. I have a write up in the 3rd Gen Ram section about how to do it with a relay, so that it also comes on when you turn your headlights on. Depends on how far you want to jump into it, but the write up may still help you.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Robert Matern
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue lights

Originally Posted by jkeaton
NC law states: c) It is unlawful for any person to possess a blue light or to install, activate, or operate a blue light in or on any vehicle in this State, except for a publicly owned vehicle used for law enforcement purposes or any other vehicle when used by law enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "blue light" means any forward facing blue light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle; or an operable blue light which:
(1) Is not (i) being installed on, held in inventory for the purpose of being installed on, or held in inventory for the purpose of sale for installation on a vehicle on which it may be lawfully operated or (ii) installed on a vehicle which is used solely for the purpose of demonstrating the blue light for sale to law enforcement personnel;
(1a) Is designed for use by an emergency vehicle, or is similar in appearance to a blue light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and
(2) Can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery, the vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery.
(c1) The provisions of subsection (c) of this section do not apply to the possession and installation of an inoperable blue light on a vehicle that is inspected by and registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles as a specially constructed vehicle and that is used primarily for participation in shows, exhibitions, parades, or holiday/weekend activities, and not for general daily transportation. For purposes of this subsection, "inoperable blue light" means a blue‑colored lamp housing or cover that does not contain a lamp or other mechanism having the ability to produce or emit illumination.

So even though the initial section pertains to "forward facing" blue lights, section 2 makes it apply to any blue light that is powered by the vehicles electrical system, i.e. interior lights. Guess I should have read the law first....lol
I believe it also says that you are allowed blue/white/red lights as long as they are below the bumpers of your vehicle

Last edited by Robert Matern; 04-18-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Wrong button

Quick Reply: Interior (dome) Light Wiring