3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Interior (dome) Light Wiring

Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I agree canadiandakota.....nc has some f***ed up laws....rengnath, red are illegal here too. I think I'm going to find a cop some night and just ask, but the law is the law and you never know when I'll run into (not literally) some cop who's having a bad night and arrests me for impersonating a police officer....

Old 09-10-2010, 07:39 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the same here no blue lights showing to the out side so i think im fine with them being under the dash... my old neon i had i put blue LEDs in the marker lights and drove for about six months never had a problem till 1 bylaw officer (not even a cop) decided to give me a hard time went over the car front to back trying to give me tickets from muffler to tint to stuff under the hood even tried saying the euro tail lights where illegal cause its a clear lense on the back of the vehicle (hahahahaha the lights are still red genius go back to school and become a real cop) all he got me for was the blue lights $60 ticket later lmao

Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 PM
sullysdetailing
All Star

Every state has the blue/red light law if there outside. Who care about the inside of your car. When I had my eclipse I had Blue in the rear dome and foot well and White in the front dome

Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

thats what I just did sully...left the underdash lights and rear dome blue....put 6k white in the map/front dome....

Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

EDIT:

Okay, so I finished my install today, and got it working pretty much like I was planning. I already had two LED strips in the front floorboard, and one small strip inside and above the fold out cup holders wired to a constant on switch. I added two LED strips in the back, one on each side, and wired those in with the other LED's. What use to happen, was I flipped the switch, the LEDs came on. What now happens, is when I open the doors, or unlock the truck with the keyless remote, the LED's come on with the dome lights. When you roll the dimmer switch all the way up, they come on, and when you roll it all the way down, they go off. In addition, whenever I turn the headlights on, they also come on. I did this using a relay. I took off the radio bezel, and there's a small grey plug with a hot and ground. This plug connects to a small little light that goes over the cup holders in my 06. I tapped into this and ran it into pin 87a on a 12v 30 amp relay I bought from OReillys. I ran all of the ground wires for the relay, the lights, and my switch to one ground point. I took off the A pillar cover, and tapped into a yellow/blue wire, and ran that to pins 86, and 87 on the relay. I ran the pin 30, which is the output, to the 12v power pin on the switch, and connected the positive of the LEDs to the acc on the switch. I am basically using the switch as a master switch. Whenever it is "ON", it works like described above. But I have the ability to kill power the LEDs at any time, when needed.

I would have liked to wire pin 87 to a source that allows me to dim the lights with the gauge cluster, but I have decided the best way to do this, is to run a separate pot to dim the leds if I decide to do this later.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out and answered all my questions. I hope that maybe my experiment may help someone else as well.

Last edited by JoshuaAckley; 01-03-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 PM
davidmartinez7270

I have a 2012 , 3500 ram and also want to install led lighting to turn on when door or dome light turns on, or with remote. was also wanting to know where wires from dome light come down to tie into

Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 PM
davidmartinez7270

Hammond, do the wires from the dome light come down on the center pillar of the 2012 ram 3500 dually also, haven't got wiring schematic yet.

-thanks

Old 11-16-2013, 12:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by davidmartinez7270
Hammond, do the wires from the dome light come down on the center pillar of the 2012 ram 3500 dually also, haven't got wiring schematic yet.

-thanks
Welcome to DF. This thread is an old one and Hammond is no longer on here. Your best bet is to post this in the 4th gen Ram section. They will be able to assist you better.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Dakota B'y

I just spliced into the wires running down the RH A pillar. Ran LED's under the glovebox and under the driver side. I aslo have two 12' strips in behind the hood grille that face up. Drive with them on at night and in th early morning on the way to work. I have passed cops with no issues. They aren't face out, there face up. So they are lighting up the grille.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 AM
tannam13
Default 2010 dodge 1500 lonestar

I want to install LEDs into the front overhead console and the back dome light along with lights along the floor board that come on when you open the doors and unlock the truck and turn the dome light **** all the way up, what would be the simplest way to accomplish that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior (dome) Light Wiring