3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

sorry new here. looking for some input asap

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 PM
AFoster1025
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the honesty, im begining to think i may run away, with all the negative comments, and issues people have. i realize every truck will have problems but, there are just too many bad reviews for me to confidently buy this truck.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all about what you want...in the long haul or short term every vehicle is gonna have problems! but relatively things for this truck are relatively cheap compared to other trucks our age range and size. Its all about what you want! so dont feel hurried just take time and decide! And guess what if you take your time and go back and the truck is gone it was not meant to be!

Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

^^ man, that sounds just like a speech I got from my dad concerning women years ago.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
rengnath
Champion

When someone does that much work to a truck, you have to be so careful. If it wasnt someone who knew what they were doing, they could royally screw some things up.

Id pull a carfax before going to look at it. The Dakota and SLT emblems are in the wrong spot on the tailgate .... and I dont see why someone would remove these emblems to only put them back on a few inches lower. Im guessing a rear end collision.

As for 4x4, you can check both. Its shift on the fly for 4-hi so anything under 40mph and you can switch it. Just DO NOT try to turn with it on or you will bind. After the 4x4 is engaged, you should here the front end whirling a little bit. To test 4-lo, go in a parking lot and come to a complete stop. I throw it in nuetral, switch it in to 4 hi and then 4 lo, and go to drive. You will know if its in 4 lo and if its working. Again, just dont turn so you dont bind up the front end.

I personally dont mind my 05. It has 110k on it and hasnt had any engine or transmission problems. I bought the truck at 86k and it hasnt seen normal driving since. I drive it like a sports car.

Last edited by rengnath; 09-23-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
cue244
Rookie

Carfax for sure!! I agree with everyone else, might have been in an accident. My honest opinion is to keep looking.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 PM
AFoster1025

the guy told me on the phone the carfax for it shows no accidents. and one owner. thats all i know for sure. he could be lieing but i dont see why he would if im just going to ask to see it when i get there. ive been looking around and this price is cheap around here. i cant find another one with these options (v8 4x4 slt, leather, ) for under 16000
these trucks are really makin me wonder... some people hate them and have tons of problems with them, others havent had a single problem. i guess thats just how trucks go though.
the one thing i like about this dealership is i currently have a salvage vehicle, and from the way he talked on the phone he will give me a very fair price on it, which is hard to find around here. people are afraid of salvage vehicles, its hard to sell them without giving it away.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 PM
rengnath
Champion

You have to remember, many reviews that you will find about something on the internet are always about the bad. Yes, some products get all raves with no rants, however when someone has a problem they want to get their feelings out. It normally doesnt work that way for when someone has a car that performs like it should, so you sometimes wont get the other half.

Look at the reviews for any car or truck and you are bound to find complaints about it. I would go look at it, verify it has no problems and if you cannot walk away from it because you love it that much, then buy it.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
AFoster1025

thats good advise and ill go with it. my main concerns are the fact that a lot of people on here say the front end components are way too weak especilly for oversized tires. well this one has oversized tires, and i want to keep it that way. and i will be doing some off roading.

if i look it over and still like it im going to off the guy my truck on trade (which ballpark he said will be 8000) and 2000 cash. if he doesnt take it then ill just walk away.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
cue244
Rookie

Still ask to see the carfax for yourself. If everything looks good and they give you money for your car, then pull the trigger!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM
AFoster1025

once again i know this is going on and on but where else can i ask specific questions and get the answers i need in order to determine if i should buy this truck.
here is my last question (for now lol) since this truck does have big tires, and i like the look of it, and i may lift it more later, and get even bigger tires (depending on my possibilities) is the front end of this truck going to wear out all the time? ive seen one thread saying the guy had to replace his rack and pinion every 30,000 miles. and once he took his big tires off the problem stopped...

also how capable are these trucks offroad? i like to go mudding every now and then, it has to be good on snowy/icy roads, and if possible id like to travel, and do some very easy rock crawling courses. just more of hill climbing and sightseeing in a desert.
would this truck in its current state (the current lift) be adequet for moderate rock crawling, and mudding? also a thought i had was, if the front end is prone to breaking with bigger tires, is it going to be very prone to breaking if i do any type of offroading

would i be better of with a tacoma or frontier? or are they similiar?

Last edited by AFoster1025; 09-23-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: sorry new here. looking for some input asap