3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Limited Slip Differential Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was yours making actual noise, or was it just the tires? I dont hear anything from the actual differential, except a slight whine when I downshift to 1st gear. Thats the only noise I heard when troubleshooting.

In all honesty, before I stick $2500 in to the rear of this truck, Ill trade it in and take my losses on trade in value, and get a Ram with a Hemi. The Dodge dealership keeps sending me notices to pay at least $1500 over KBB fair trade value for my Dakota .... Ill just wait for one of those to come again. Lol.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to foot the bill, I would pickup a junkyard complete axle..but I pay $100.00 towards the repair

Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, I understand completly. Keep us updated, and I hope my diff doesnt grenade itself while I own it. Lol.

If I was doing the rear axle, I would be upgrading gears in the front for sure! Gears are cheap, the install is the expensive part. And you already are halfway there if you are re-doing the rear.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rengnath
except a slight whine when I downshift to 1st gear.
Mine would wine, then shake and I heard a metal on metal sound and it stopped. I pulled the diff cover to find my part of my c clip and I became a one wheel peel. I'm lucky as that can grenade the entire differential. Just get an Auburn LSD and have it installed. Certainly cheaper than 2500.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T#ht_500wt_956

Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, no metal clanking or grinding sounds. Im actually thinking the whine comes from the transmission since it goes away in 2nd. Oh well, Ill just run it until something happens.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Was yours making actual noise, or was it just the tires? I dont hear anything from the actual differential, except a slight whine when I downshift to 1st gear. Thats the only noise I heard when troubleshooting.

In all honesty, before I stick $2500 in to the rear of this truck, Ill trade it in and take my losses on trade in value, and get a Ram with a Hemi. The Dodge dealership keeps sending me notices to pay at least $1500 over KBB fair trade value for my Dakota .... Ill just wait for one of those to come again. Lol.
No way you get them notices too...lol

Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
rengnath
Champion

Haha, I guess Im not the only one. But with KBB, fair trade would be about $7k, and +1500 would bring me to $8500 .... and I think I could live with that. Lol.

The suggested retail on my truck is still over $13k. What a joke!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts
Talking

Haha, I guess Im not the only one. But with KBB, fair trade would be about $7k, and +1500 would bring me to $8500 .... and I think I could live with that. Lol.

Think positive, man!! Now that they are not making them anymore, we have a potential classic on our hands....if they do come out with some dumb@ss body on frame pos and call it a Dakota, I shall start referring to mine as a Dakota Classic.....ala Caprice Classic when GM screwed up that car...or coke classic....the value will only start to go up!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
rengnath
Champion

I just look at Craigslist listings with awe right now. What they want for some of the Dakotas on there is insane. I saw a 99 Dakota Club Cab 4x4 V8 going for $7,000 with over 165k miles. Either these dealers are coming way down on the prices when people are interested, or people really desire these trucks. I just cant imagine paying that much for a Dakota. I drove off the lot with my Dakota in 09 for less than $12k.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:18 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I am just picking. I keep getting little cards from my dealer saying how they want good condition dakotas like my 2007 and they will give me the world's bestest and greatest deal in the history of automotives. ROFL

Quick Reply: Rear Limited Slip Differential Chatter