3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Limited Slip Differential Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:48 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Limited Slip Differential Chatter

Hey guys!

I think I found what my "shake" is when I am in reverse and on the brake.

First, the problem; after driving the truck hard for a while (spinning tires, WOT runs, power launches) when I throw the truck in reverse, move an inch and keep the truck stopped, it has a shake. If I put the E-brake on with it in reverse to get out and pinpoint where its coming from, it stops. The shake will go away if I give it some gas in reverse while on the brake and it will stay away again until I drive it like I stole it again.

So yesterday after I replaced my sway bar link bushings (again) I took the truck out for a test drive and it had the same shake while doing a right turn. I did another right turn, and the shake was there again. After a few though, it went away. The ground was also wet so it couldve also been the tires since they were dry when I pulled it out of the garage.

After a google search of the shake while turning, I found a couple guys with various makes of trucks with an LSD, where it was the LSD causing the problem. The question is, does the LSD sound like my problem? And if it is, should I add some friction modifier or just leave it alone. (Will it hurt anything to just leave it along) I brought the truck to work today and I had no shake while turning.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same issue as you, and I do think that it is chatter from the rear...I am overdue for changing the fluid, so I am hopeful it will go away after that.
Of course, my second guess is the good ole' drum brakes....I think they are still original at 82,500 miles

I am gonna try to match up all the 2005 rear drum brake system parts to the 2007 parts and see if I can "upgrade" to the new style...have not had time to look up and cross reference everything yet.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM
rengnath
Champion

Hey Hammond,
Thanks for the response. Glad to here Im not the only one with the issue. I have 110k on my original drums and they just started making noise now, so those are getting changed. I just had the rear diff fluid changed, and they have friction modifier on the invoice, but who knows how much they actually added.
Does your truck shake while making turns in drive, or just in reverse? The reverse never really bothered me since I knew it wasnt something with the transmission. If it was something in the transmission, it would do it in first gear as well, as reverse and 1st are shared. And now that I felt the shake while turning, it has to be something with the clutches in the LSD.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

When I go slow around the corner, it tends to almost chirp (especially in a parking garage). It seems it did it worse with the Wrangler tires (although it is kind wet here still).

The shaking is sporadic for me, reverse seems OK most of the time.

It is MUCH better with these tires, so I am baffled!

Old 10-02-2010, 04:52 PM
rengnath
Champion

That may be part of my problem. I just put on bfg a/ts

Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

Well, I finally got it in to the dealer to have both diffs and the transfer case serviced. NOT GOOD.

The rear diff noise I was hearing was a pin that came loose in the carrier, it has been rubbing on the cap on the passenger side. It actually wore down the cap!

I am waiting for the "inspector" for the 3rd part warranty to come out and look at it, I don't expect any problems getting it covered, but since it is going to coast them $2500.00, they want to see it

Looks like the only thing being re-used are the gears!

Stay tuned....

Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Rengnath! Get it looked at, lol. It might be as serious if not worse than Hammond!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

This photo shows what I am talking about..

Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
rengnath
Champion

Did they find it when they pulled off the rear diff cover?

I just had the rear diff serviced, and I requested that they look for any visual signs of damage. They said everything looked good and put it back together.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

Yep! EXACTLY why the cover should be taken off when the fluid is changed. I wonder how long I had until it self-destructed? The chatter was not that bad, either!

Quick Reply: Rear Limited Slip Differential Chatter