3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

which tires for fireston or bfg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM
crunkcity954
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which tires for fireston or bfg?

i am getting a set of tires for my 16s because mine are 80% bald and 26's are about 3 times the cost.I am looking at the firestone destination a/t and the bfg a/t. remember everyone i live in so cal where it doesnt snow. i am leaning to thet firestones because i heard they are more quite than the bfg's..any info for me?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Only set of BFGs I had were A/Ts and I had nothing but problems with them. Cupping and uneven wear from early on and the belts started separating on two of them.
I became a thorn in the side of the tire shop where I got them and they basically told me it was my truck.
I took them off before I had 15k miles on them, replaced them with a set of Mickey Thompson MTX tires and NEVER had an issue. NEVER changed a thing on my truck except the tires! This was about 15 years ago and I've not bought a tire that didn't either say Mickey Thompson or Dick Cepek to put on a truck I've owned since.

I have never owned a set of Firestone tires but my cousin in upstate NY has a set of Destination A/Ts on his '08 Ram 4x4 and swears by them. He's a pretty big hunter and has them on trails a good bit. Says he won't ever buy any other tire.

So I think you know which tire would get my vote...

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
ruger226
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firestone all day

Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
rengnath
Champion

I hated my Firestones. They did well on dry pavement, but anything that involved snow was scary.

BFG A/Ts are my favorite, but its all personal preference. The Firestone Destination A/Ts do handle better at freeway speeds and on dry pavement, but the BFGs look better and do well in the snow.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have BFG AT KO and they are great for those wet/muddy/winter days. These are both VERY heavy tires and you will notice a preformance gain drop from turning all the weight. Now since you live in Los Angeles I would go with Firestone.

Firestone Destination a/t are approx 50lbs each for our Dakotas
BFG AT KO are approx 55lbs each for our Dakota's

The stock Goodyear Wrangler tires that came on most trucks are approx 31lbs

Just some thoughts! I know it does not sound like much, but you will notice and the gas tank will also.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by rengnath
I hated my Firestones. They did well on dry pavement, but anything that involved snow was scary.

BFG A/Ts are my favorite, but its all personal preference. The Firestone Destination A/Ts do handle better at freeway speeds and on dry pavement, but the BFGs look better and do well in the snow.

and the interesting thing here is that the Firestone Destination has earned the snowflake emblem for snow performance while the BFG has not...

Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my humble experience with tires in both dry and severe snow conditions:

Last place = factory Goodyear SR/As. Decent dry traction, horrible on EVERYTHING ELSE.

Third place = Firestone Destinations a/t's. Good dry traction, great snow traction, decent dirt, decent mud.

Second place = BFG a/t's. Good dry traction (comparble with firestone's), awesome snow, great dirt, great mud

First place = Goodyear Wrangler Authority a/t's. Great dry traction, awesome snow, awesome dirt, awesome mud (just under a M/T).

Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 AM
dakotajerry
Veteran

Best tires i ever had for wet dry traction were the Nitto Terra Grappler's. That's what i'm planning on putting on after these wear out. Goodyear SR/As are horrible for wet traction.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by dakotajerry
Best tires i ever had for wet dry traction were the Nitto Terra Grappler's. That's what i'm planning on putting on after these wear out. Goodyear SR/As are horrible for wet traction.

That's what I have on my Grand Cherokee (daily driver). Very impressed with them. Stick to dry and wet pavement like velcro, quiet and decent off-road everywhere except deep mud (but then again, no A/T tire is gonna shine in deep mud)...

Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

If you don't need or use the AT type tire that much go to lees agressive tread. Your MPG will take a hit with the BFG AT TA KOs and the like. They are a good tire but messure your use of such a tire.

Quick Reply: which tires for fireston or bfg?