3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 dakota v8 shaking at 65 mph & up

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Nateward
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ueland
do you have factory wheels or aftermarket?

Also are they just using a standard spin balance or a roadforce balance machine?

When I picked up my truck it had aftermarket wheels and a vibe around 65mph. the dealer rebalanced the tires which worked for about 20 miles then they were doin the same thing. So I ended up taking it to a local shop I deal with and he used a "road force Balance Machine" it immediately said the tire was out. so they peeled the old weights and ended up putting new ones on in totally different locations then original.

Apparently the new style machine works much better for larger rims and picky vehicles.
I had mine 'roadforce' balanced and that is how I determined that the rims weren't bent and the wheels were true. The roadforce puts a drum down on the tire.

The problem that has plauged my truck and I feel others should be away of is that if you have the 17" chrome rims they are actualy chrome plate pressed on to aluminum. So they do not balance well on machines using the cone in the centre. If you have vibration issues trust me, and have your wheels ballaced on a machine with the 'fingers' that go into the wheel lugs. Most shops have them and just need to be told to use them.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Robk1971
Professional

This is an article from a 4Runner site that I came accross while dealing with balancing problems once on another vehicle. An interesting read on balancing if you choose.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibration.htm

Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
flyingDakota

I just joined this forum and thought I would share my experience. I had the same vibration issues as you are describing. I really thought mine was going to shake apart at about 65 to 70MPH especially if I had to use the brakes in a hurry at those speeds it was even worse. At first, the dealer scratched their heads because nobody had complained of this issue before to them. They tried balancing and even decided I had a bad tire. They actually switched wheels and tires with another Dakota they had. (I have the 17 inch chrome clad wheels). This did not solve the issue. They said the rotors looked fine and they turned them anyway to give that a try. One day I met another Dakota driver at the gas station and we were just comparing notes. He stated he had the shutter issue for which there was a TSB and it fixed the problem.

I took it back to the dealer and they looked it up and there it was. They even said they should have done that first thing but they had yet experienced the problem. Mind you this is when the truck was new so by now most dealers should know by now after five years of this generation. I believe the TSB number is 05-002-06. Basically they look if your axle has a certain stamp on it and if it does they change the axle. As part of the TSB they also replace the rear shoes with an updated number, turn the drums, and turn the rotors. This is covered under the warranty! Do not let them tell you otherwise. I am fortunate that I ran into someone that had the same issues as it completely eliminated the issue for me.

I am sure others have discussed this issue before. Please forgive me as I just joined today and have not searched through all the postings yet. I just thought this post was timely so thought I might try to help out. I was ready to trade in before this issue was fixed. I love my truck now.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM
SLT07Dakota
Professional

Originally Posted by flyingDakota
I just joined this forum and thought I would share my experience. I had the same vibration issues as you are describing. I really thought mine was going to shake apart at about 65 to 70MPH especially if I had to use the brakes in a hurry at those speeds it was even worse. At first, the dealer scratched their heads because nobody had complained of this issue before to them. They tried balancing and even decided I had a bad tire. They actually switched wheels and tires with another Dakota they had. (I have the 17 inch chrome clad wheels). This did not solve the issue. They said the rotors looked fine and they turned them anyway to give that a try. One day I met another Dakota driver at the gas station and we were just comparing notes. He stated he had the shutter issue for which there was a TSB and it fixed the problem.

I took it back to the dealer and they looked it up and there it was. They even said they should have done that first thing but they had yet experienced the problem. Mind you this is when the truck was new so by now most dealers should know by now after five years of this generation. I believe the TSB number is 05-002-06. Basically they look if your axle has a certain stamp on it and if it does they change the axle. As part of the TSB they also replace the rear shoes with an updated number, turn the drums, and turn the rotors. This is covered under the warranty! Do not let them tell you otherwise. I am fortunate that I ran into someone that had the same issues as it completely eliminated the issue for me.

I am sure others have discussed this issue before. Please forgive me as I just joined today and have not searched through all the postings yet. I just thought this post was timely so thought I might try to help out. I was ready to trade in before this issue was fixed. I love my truck now.
Welcome Flying Dakota, thats a great description....Thanks for the info!

Mark

Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

Originally Posted by jkeaton
haha...the dakota certainly is a picky vehicle...reminds me of a high maintenance woman....always needing to be pampered and have lots of money spent on new things for her..lol

exactly the way i talk about my truck...plus i did name it Sarah when i bought it... shes picky but she likes the cool air right now lol.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No **** on the cooler air. Truck runs like it stole something.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 PM
rengnath
Champion

Ill agree with that statement. It seems like when its around 40 degrees on a dry day .... my truck goes like a bat outta hell.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my trucks name is CHEYENNE (shy ann) and she loves the cold weather...so when i get home in little over a month and have the power wire, true dual and SC tuner omg shes gonna run like never before so stooked i can't wait!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 AM
rengnath
Champion

My old truck was named Cheyanne .... it was an old Chevy work truck, but Cheyanne fit perfect since it was a higher package offered in the old Chevy trucks. Lol

Now my truck is named Roxanne. I had to keep the -anne thing going.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

ok, we need a "what did you name your truck" thread....mines blue thunder...

Quick Reply: 2006 dakota v8 shaking at 65 mph & up