3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Seats, New Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Seats, New Problem

Hey all, Found a guy that was parting out an 08 dak and was able to snag a set of front and rear leather seats for $250! It was a heck of a deal and I couldnt pass it up at that price. I was pleased when they were able to bolt straight in (installed them in a Home Depot parking lot on the way home). Two issues though. First, I noticed underneath the wiring harnesses were different, the drivers power plugged right in no problem, but both seats had a smaller green plug. I'm guessing it is for the heating element (if it has one). The other more important issue is that the passenger seat didn't have a sensor plate for the air bag system like on my 05. So, my questions are this:
1. Can I get a wiring harness from the dealer to activate the heat in the seats and if so is it hard to install?
2. Can I swap the sensor from my old seat, just remove and swap the entire lower bracket with the sensor and load cell, or should i just take the leather off the new one and swap it with the cloth on the old one?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

I would take the seat cover off and see which is easier, I would think just moving the sensor plate.
You wanna sell your old driver's side power seat rail?

FIRST DIBS!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 AM
italiandominator
All Star

My truck is an SLT and didnt come with power seats. Part of the reason I was so glad to upgrade. I am going to sell my old seats though, so if you know anyone interested lemme know. Thanks for the interest though!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

What color are they? PM me

Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Oh yeah, I couldn't believe I found it. My old seats are grey cloth. I took a closer look at my old seats and all the apolstery came off really easy and it was the same with the new leather ones. So I just swapped frames and reinstalled it, problem solved.

So now, the only issue I have is that my new seats are heated, but seeing as how my 2005 SLT didnt have that option I need to find the wiring harnesses and switches to plug them in. I am hoping that there is an open port under the dash, so if I can find the switches and harnesses I can just plug and play. Any ideas guys?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Could always do a toggle switch / relay setup. Installed at the home depot huh? Tossed a few bucks to the illegals to do it I bet.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

Look in the service manual for the wiring diagram.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:30 PM
italiandominator
All Star

yeah, Im surprised none of them came over to ask to help with the install, but the wierd thing is we parked way out at the end of the parking lot that was totally empty, and people kept driving by, out of their way mind you, to look at what we were doing. And it wasnt just a drive by, they would circle around once or twice.

Ill check my haynes manual to see what it says. Im hopin I can find a wrecked Dak being parted out that I can get them off of (wanna stay oem), but if I have to ill prob do a relay. Any idea of the harness plugs are universal or specific to dodge?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:11 PM
nanohead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you still have them, PM me. But Ham gets first dibs! I have grey cloth also, and my front seat covers are getting a bit fugly.

Here's the wiring diagram from AllData

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
heated seat diag.jpg (8.6 KB, 14 views)

Quick Reply: New Seats, New Problem