3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Dakota owner, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:26 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rengnath
If you can be patient, DEI is developing/has developed the remote start from your Iphone or Droid. From what I read, its not perfected yet but its definetly getting there. If they can get 2 way remote start with complete up-to-date security status of the vehical, Ill be getting one on the truck.
hmmm I thing i would almost lose the factory setup for that That would be badass

Old 11-14-2010, 02:27 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, for sure. Its out now, but I won't put it on this truck .... maybe my next one as this one is getting high in mileage. I know best buy carries it.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use something called a "key" to get into and start my truck. I know you kids these days use some new fangled "fob" thing. The only "fob" I know of we used to put on our pocket watch chains, but I digress....

Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 PM
rengnath
Champion

Well currently, my remote start involves me running outside in a pair of flip flops and boxers, starting the truck with a regular key and locking the door with the key fob. Its cheap and effective .... it helps wake me up too.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

thanks for that visual Bobby.....

Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

MTX makes a behind the driver rear seat box for the quad cabs. The only downfall to this is you lose the ability to fold that seat up, to access the "storage space" under the bottom of the seat. I was considering this option until I saw that tid bit of info. Even though the "storage space" is very small under the back seat, I do use it.

I'm looking at some other custom options for subs, that involve either modifying the door speakers openings for 6" or 8" subs, or possibly an under the cab set-up.

Front speakers, have pretty open options, many speakers can be found for the stock locations, or build some kick panels to place speakers there, which is what I'm leaning towards to get better imaging

Regarding the remote starter.
I have been looking at several of the bypasses available, since I bought my '05 Dak a couple months ago. At this point I've decided to go with the Xpresskit XK09, at least until I talk with my rep tomorrow, whom I will ask if there is a better option. I've installed remote starts and alarms for almost 2 decades now, I've seen a lot change over the years. My preffered brand of choice right now and has been for several years is "Autostart". It's a Canadian brand, that have been making remote startes since the '80s. I've tried many other brands, both in my cars and other's cars, and the Autostart seems to be the most reliable remote starter around. This is the brand that I use in my cars currently, well, to be honest I'm not using one at this moment, since I just removed it from my Malibu that I sold yesterday, and still need to get a bypass for my Dak.

The bypasses I have been looking at only require one key to program, however, I know there are bypasses that do require 2 keys to program, and this is a vehicle function, not an aftermarket RS function. The truck requires 2 differently coded keys to enter the vehicle's programming mode. It's the same process that is used to program a new key to truck.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 AM
SuperKennedy

Hey Sorry for the lack of pics.

Thanks for the warm welcome, she's all factory right now and ya it's a quad cab and he's grey.

Upcoming mods and in no particular order are.

Exhaust, so it sounds like a real boy! With a V8 I'll probably get a decent rumble.
Rims. Most likely black and either 18's or 20's.
Tires. Don't know what the max for a decent looking Dakota is, probably don't want to go over 31"s and even then those would be massive I think.
Lift. 3" on the body, 2" suspension at MOST. Might just stick with 3" on the body.
Line - X. Over the rail with a roll n' lock.
A big ol' sum bitch bush bar with PIAA's as it's awful crappy weather in a Lethbridge winter.
Command Start as it's supposed to hit -20 next week.
Stereo. As the factory system might as well be a tin can.

The person who owned this before me was the wife of a rig pig, it's a completely factory, lady driven V8 with 90,000 highway kms so I think I got a pretty legit deal.

Once I start modding it I'll shoot a few pics, but if you really want to see it, google a "grey factory 07 Dodge Dakota" haha so there's no point as you all know what it looks like. Minus the totally hillbilly "Keep Honking, I'm reloading" sticker some of the boys put on the rear windshield when were all pissed up a few weeks ago.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
SuperKennedy

Originally Posted by Hammond_Egger
I use something called a "key" to get into and start my truck. I know you kids these days use some new fangled "fob" thing. The only "fob" I know of we used to put on our pocket watch chains, but I digress....
Yea, I'm a fan of the "self-start" when I'm at home and I can lounge around make breakfast and be fat and sassy. However, I'm in a ridiculously intensive program at uni and after having my truck sit outside while I'm slaving away in classes for 8 hours a day, the last thing I want to do is have a 20 minute ride home in a cold vehicle.

After the crap they put me through in school, I deserve a toasty ride home immediately. hah.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by superkennedy
she's all factory right now and ya it's a quad cab and he's grey.
Having gender issues with him/her?? lol

Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I love my Droid X even more.
Voice Activation? "Droid start truck" vroooom....bad ***

Quick Reply: New Dakota owner, few questions