3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Radio Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by rengnath
The accessory needs to be connected to the cigarrete outlet hot wire, doesnt it? Im guessing the accesssory wire was attached to a wire that was always hot and not switched, thats why the radio was always on. It needs to be connected to a switched hot wire.
Thats a good place to get a switched source, but I'm thinking there has to be a factory switched source in that mess of wires somewhere behind the radio, one that was there for the original radio....

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Thats a good place to get a switched source, but I'm thinking there has to be a factory switched source in that mess of wires somewhere behind the radio, one that was there for the original radio....
It would seem you haven't read my posts through this thread...

There is no switched lead in the OEM radio harness. Dodge uses a databus (digital communication), to control some functions of the radio. This is why there is a special harness that has a module attached to it to use the information on the databus to provide analog outputs that aftermarket radios can use.

I used the power outlet connector that is below the heater controls, for the switched lead to my radio, it works fine. For the deck I was installing it didn't make sense to buy the special harness. If my head unit had a GPS and required VSS and other functions that would be difficult to source elsewhere, I would. I also did buy the special harness, because I needed a parking brake connection as well, but decided that I could get that easily in the driver kick panel.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
It would seem you haven't read my posts through this thread...
sorry I was daydreaming again, i'll try to pay better attention in the future...jk. sorry i'm just and I should ..lol

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-07-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 PM
cbea1124
Rookie

well....today my bro and i disconnected the red (ACC) wire from the yellow wire that goes to battery....red radio accessory re-connected to truck accessory...NO POWER.

The red (ACC) in back of radio is hot wire to the radio....so my brother connected red (acc) wire to cigrette lighter under ac/heater control. radio went on and off like was suppose to.....was very happy....for couple of hours....then the radio stayed on when truck was off.....like b4....then hours later it turned off like i wanted it to,,,,this radio pain...

This radio has mind of it's own ...ipod works when it wants and sometimes im able to fffw or rewind....other times I cant....of course ipod doesn't charge....and if it dies cant play. But it will have to do for now....

Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by cbea1124
This radio has mind of it's own ...ipod works when it wants and sometimes im able to fffw or rewind....other times I cant....of course ipod doesn't charge....and if it dies cant play. But it will have to do for now....
We forgot to tell you; China called. They say "You're welcome."

Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
cbea1124
Rookie

Haha....

I love the truck....dont why previous owner switched out radios....oh well

Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 PM
rengnath
Champion

Probably seemed like a sweet deal. In all honesty, for what it does and for the price it is online, it does seem pretty attractive.

It appears that it wasnt wired up right from the beginning, so who knows what else doesnt work right with it.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by rengnath
We forgot to tell you; China called. They say "You're welcome."
thats d@mn funny....seriously, time to upgrade to a head unit made in Japan or Taiwan...since there are no domestic car audio manufacturers anymore.....

Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, it takes some serious buck to get one of those systems capable of everything that ChinaVasion can do. Im curious to see just how well it works when you have an instruction manual and its properly installed. Must have been pretty decent for someone to put it in their brand new $30k truck.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by cbea1124
Haha....

I love the truck....dont why previous owner switched out radios....oh well
well you know who makes it now thanks to Bobby, you could try to contact them and get a manual for it.....got to be an email link in that web page somewhere.....

Quick Reply: Radio Power