3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Radio Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
cbea1124
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Radio Power

Have 2010 Dodge dakota/Bighorn
The radio I have (Moblie Media Center/Chinavision) was installed my previous owner. Not sure were he had it installed.

My issue is the way its powered is some wht of a nuisance.
When u power up truck the radio doesn't come on, driver has to manually turn on and off. Left on after parking can drain battery.

1. So my question is how would I have to do to have it wired to come on when start vehicle and off when I turn it off.

2. The MMC plays the ipod but doesnt charge it @ all. so if i leave ipod overnight if course ipod dies...and can't ;isten to it. Which also is a nuisance. Would doing the above solve that problem?

Thank-you

Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

You need to find a switched 12V power source for the radio. There is usually a constant 12V source to the radio to keep stations preset in memory but then a separate 12V source that is on when the iginition is on that actually turns the radio on. Check the wiring diagrams and get a volt meter and start measuring to find the wire with the switched 12V. Sounds like someone butchered the wiring job, probably did not have adaptors for the factory harness and cut it off.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

In addition to the above, there is an adapter available that would plug into the OEM radio harness an provide the 12V switched lead, as well as some navigation connections (e-brake, VSS, etc.). There is a module as part of this harness that interprets the databus and provides these connection.

I will make an additional suggestion here, since you seem to dislike this piece of equipment I would look replacing it with something that works the way you would like, proper mapping, iPod charging, etc.

Another note on the iPod charging, is that you may have a newer iPod that charges at a different level than the older iPods, so some units don't charge certain iPods. There are adapters that plug into the cable between the iPod and the cable itself to convert the voltage. Again, I would still look at a different head unit.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
rengnath
Champion

The unit should have a spot for a remote on wire. Its a wire that tells the unit that the vehical is on so the radio should come on only with the ignition, but the radio is always connected to a constant on even if the ignition is off. This is so the memory in the radio doesnt dump from always being turned off.

Last edited by rengnath; 01-06-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

Originally Posted by rengnath
The unit should have a spot for a remote on wire. Its a wire that tells the unit that the vehical is on so the radio should come on only with the ignition, but the radio is always connected to a constant on even if the ignition is off. This is so the memory in the radio doesnt dump from always being turned off.
That is NOT the purpose of a "remote wire".

A "remote wire" is used to trigger amplifiers and other related equipment to turn on and off with the head unit.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
cbea1124
Rookie

I have wiring diagram...no idea wht it means though..lol....has colors of which wires that control different options

Getting another System is not an option right now and I got NAv to work...needed sd of maps....

Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by cbea1124
I have wiring diagram...no idea wht it means though..lol....has colors of which wires that control different options

Getting another System is not an option right now and I got NAv to work...needed sd of maps....
The wiring diagram should tell you which wire to connect to a constant on source and which wire to connect to a switched source. Then check the Dakota's wiring diagrams to figure out which wires you need to connect those to.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM
ballsout
Professional

i know with my 07 there was not enough power to run my aftermarket deck and Nav with the factory wiring, i ended up stealing power from the lighter which will turn on and off like normal. Or you could buy the module that lets you have enough power but i wasnt willing to spend close to 150 bucks when the wire for the lighter was right there to tap into.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by ballsout
i know with my 07 there was not enough power to run my aftermarket deck and Nav with the factory wiring, i ended up stealing power from the lighter which will turn on and off like normal. Or you could buy the module that lets you have enough power but i wasnt willing to spend close to 150 bucks when the wire for the lighter was right there to tap into.
how much power did it draw?? must have been a ton.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
cbea1124
Rookie
Default took pic

yellow - battery
red - accessory

connected twice...see circles.

Last edited by cbea1124; 07-24-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Radio Power