3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Sway Away Front Coil Over Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakkkota
im running 2,5inches lift i think my leveling kit is 1,5 thick so if you mean 2 inches longer you will achieve 3 iches on lift!
Not exactly. You have a choice on the body of the shock, a 2" diameter, or 2.5" diameter. Choosing one or the other will depend on what you want to spend, and what kind of perfomance characteristics you are looking to achieve. The lift will be 2" taller than stock. However, you will have the option to adjust the amount of lift or drop based on the location of the spring seat (adjustable). So, if you are wanting 3" of lift over stock, you will be able to achieve that. Be aware, that when you do, you need to check tie rod, ball joint, sway bar end link (if you have a sway bar installed) and cv angles accordingly.

By installing these adjustable coil overs, you will no longer need the leveling kit.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
ruger226
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So can you drop the front 2in from stock?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by ruger226
So can you drop the front 2in from stock?
I would imagine so.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

pretty much you guys are dropping a grand for some better shocks. and spring rates. SAW is a mid end off road company that caters to the prerunner/ trophy truck guys. they are in the same boat as fox and king and foa. pretty much what they are doing is offering you a coilover that would do away with your coil spacer. so instead of dropping 150 or so on a coil spacer and have the SAME lift. your dropping 1000 on the same ride height but youll get a little better bounce response and rebound.

and installation is the same as putting in the coil spacer. not to knock them. but i would rather keep my 150 leveling kit and have the same height as their 1000 leveling kit that is adjustable downwards only because maxed out would be the same as our leveling kit. they arent changing any angles or fixing any cv or ball join issues. and they say you have to get an aftermarket sway bar. cmon these guys should know better. 99% of prerunners with aftermarket coilovers rip the sway bars off so they can have TRUE Independent suspension.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

but they do make some nice 2.5 res coilovers lol

Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lol

I will try to do my best...(sorry my english)

but does a stock shock + spacer lenght = X

and stock stroke =Y

can you add a longer stroke to the shock with a longer body? the cv shaft should take 2,5 inches more down travel????

hope you undersand me :P

Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by 06dak287
pretty much you guys are dropping a grand for some better shocks. and spring rates. SAW is a mid end off road company that caters to the prerunner/ trophy truck guys. they are in the same boat as fox and king and foa. pretty much what they are doing is offering you a coilover that would do away with your coil spacer. so instead of dropping 150 or so on a coil spacer and have the SAME lift. your dropping 1000 on the same ride height but youll get a little better bounce response and rebound.

and installation is the same as putting in the coil spacer. not to knock them. but i would rather keep my 150 leveling kit and have the same height as their 1000 leveling kit that is adjustable downwards only because maxed out would be the same as our leveling kit. they arent changing any angles or fixing any cv or ball join issues. and they say you have to get an aftermarket sway bar. cmon these guys should know better. 99% of prerunners with aftermarket coilovers rip the sway bars off so they can have TRUE Independent suspension.
To address the "prerunner" issue, if you want a prerunner, then delete the sway bar entirely. But, for us that want to keep the sway bar, then we would need one that will clear the shocks. The didn't say we "had" to have an aftermarket sway bar. It was suggested, based on the stock bar stiffness vs. spring rate and pressure. They are also tooling around the idea of making a spacer to bring the stock bar forward to clear the shocks (this would lower the cost a bit). Therefore, for the guys that are looking for a better setup than ranchos and a leveling kit, this can be offered. Consider this: "Max'd" out lift would be somewhere around 4" from factory height, based on what one of the engineering department employee's told me. Obviously, if one were so inclined to lift the front >2", they will run into geometry issues.

Yes, this does not address cv bind, nor tie rods, nor ball joints. But then again, if one wishes to lift the front higher than 2", then they would have a problem. If you think about, ranchos are about $130 per shock right now. So, $260 + a daystar leveling kit ($130 ish) brings you to just under $400 with out freight considerations. So, if you want the 2" diameter shock kit, you basically pay double...for a much better package or double and a half...for an extremely good package.

Its all in what you want vs. what you are willing to pay. I think it's an unfair statement to say that this is a "stupid" or "dumb" buy.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by Dakkkota
I will try to do my best...(sorry my english)

but does a stock shock + spacer lenght = X

and stock stroke =Y

can you add a longer stroke to the shock with a longer body? the cv shaft should take 2,5 inches more down travel????

hope you undersand me :P
I think I'm understanding you correctly. The stock strut can only travel X. Even if you add a spacer (leveling kit), it can still only travel X.

The coil over kit will offer more travel, because it is a longer shock. Also, Sway Away can valve the shock according to what you are looking for: prerunner, crawling, etc.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

but the factory sway bar doesnt get in the way of 2.5 hell ive test fitted 3.0 in my dakota from my buddies tacoma... still fits fine.

@dakkkota....
yes the stock shock + a spacer would = X
And stock stroke would = Y

SAW or any AM coilover in that case would look like this.....

SAW coil = X+2 or 3 or 4 or whatever you set it at (no spacer needed)
SAW shock stroke= Y+ 3 or 4 or 5....etc. depending on what you want

when a company like Saw refers to their shock being 2.0 2.5 whatever. thats the body diameter. that is used for torture purposes. how much abuse you wanna give it. 2.0 being street and some off road. 2.5 being can take alot of off road abuse. and 3.0 being race ready shock. These companies also offer valving and shims to adjust for what your doing. these effect jounce and rebound characteristics.

so why would buy coilover and keep all the stock components only to give yourself <2" of droop travel? that means youd max out your suspension and joints going over a speed bump....which brings me back to these lift kits companies that dont do anything about the joint. sure the truck sits as tall as the sky. but they are busting ball joints everytime they go over a speed bump because the suspension can only droop about an 1" since they installed bigger coilovers and maxed out the height they offer.

so yea if your going for looks than i guess 900 will get you another 2 inches or so. and the jounce rate will be nicer than a rancho. but the rebound or droop will suck. SAW should know all about this. i dont know why they are telling you this will increas height and travel.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
I think I'm understanding you correctly. The stock strut can only travel X. Even if you add a spacer (leveling kit), it can still only travel X.

The coil over kit will offer more travel, because it is a longer shock. Also, Sway Away can valve the shock according to what you are looking for: prerunner, crawling, etc.
and yes the stock shock can still only travel Y with a spacer. but with the spacer you can run the stock shock all the way up to the bumps before hitting your fender or destroying something....compressing your stock shock without a spacer will run into problems before the shock is even bottomed out. The spacer doesnt give more travel. only a whole new coilover can do that. but you still have to think about your C arms. and everything else being able to keep up with the NEW travel

think of it this way. with this picture. he has higher angle joints AND SAW coilovers. he can jack his truck up this high and the tires are still on the ground. with the setup SAW is trying to sell you for our trucks. our tires would be off the ground in this picture (no bueno!)

Last edited by projektdirtfab; 01-12-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Sway Away Front Coil Over Kits