3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Sway Away Front Coil Over Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
I think I'm understanding you correctly. The stock strut can only travel X. Even if you add a spacer (leveling kit), it can still only travel X.

The coil over kit will offer more travel, because it is a longer shock. Also, Sway Away can valve the shock according to what you are looking for: prerunner, crawling, etc.
How does the spring rate compare to stock? How much of an improvement in handling could I expect with this setup running 1" lower than stock height?

Definitely interested but I need to know more. If I can be certain this would be a big improvement over just going back to stock height with some Rancho's then it's certainly on the table for consideration.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

06Dak287, well, I'm just going off of what the engineer at Sway Away told me. He said that the 2" body would probably clear, it was the 2.5" that might need to space the sway bar or get a new one...

Altair, the spring rate would be stiffer than stock (assuming thats what you want) and lighter on the sway bar. They would offer different spring rates for what the user would opt for. I would imagine that you would see a significant gain in handling...whether it would be a street or offroad application.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

i didnt say it was a bad buy. i just know SAW hasnt even looked at our trucks yet. which is why they are pulling out the "buy 10 than well make it" card like every other company. I think they are basing the sway bar opinions based on another make or model theyve already worked on. and for what most of the guys on this forum do. I personally dont think its a good buy being that youll only be limited to bump travel and not droop travel. i doubt more than half these trucks will ever see full bump. so for 1000 i think its a little on the high side for what you actually get.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 AM
whistle pig
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great shock, if you have the coin. Probably overkill for 99% of all Dakota owners though. The shock solution for us Dak owners I dont think is all that complicated. I've been looking real close at 2005 + Tacoma front struts and they are very similar to ours. ****, one guy on here a while back did it. Just buy any shock of your choice for a Tocoma, take your old shocks off, cut lower mount of both, and have Dakota lower mount welded onto Tacoma strut. I still have to measure a Tacoma strut and spring, but Im guessing it might be close to 2" taller than our stock springs, giving a lift. Rear shocks are already no problem. Airbagit.com already makes new uper control arms for up to 3" lift already. bringing ball joint angles back into shape. Now to drop the front diff an inch? Toyota has a simple cross member under they're front which is super simple to drop. Ours is attached to both motor mounts. It looks like you could get away with exactly 1" of drop with ours, but the new mounts would have to be made by a machine shop that does custom 4x4 work. Just need to get the scratch together to do it all. Hard to justify to the wife when I just bought new monroes all around and leveling kit a year ago. LOL

Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by 06dak287
i didnt say it was a bad buy. i just know SAW hasnt even looked at our trucks yet. which is why they are pulling out the "buy 10 than well make it" card like every other company. I think they are basing the sway bar opinions based on another make or model theyve already worked on. and for what most of the guys on this forum do. I personally dont think its a good buy being that youll only be limited to bump travel and not droop travel. i doubt more than half these trucks will ever see full bump. so for 1000 i think its a little on the high side for what you actually get.
He told me they did look at a 3G dak back in 07. Apparently they tried to fish for a production line, but were concerned that there was not enough demand. I don't believe they actually started tearing stuff off and retro fitting anything, though.

I know that if we actually had a long arm kit, or aftermarket control arms, we would be in great shape. But, the DXR raider had no problem utilizing the factory control arms. I guess its all in what you want.

This thread is basically here to feel out the demand.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if they can get me a 1" drop from stock in the front I'm in.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by Altair
Well if they can get me a 1" drop from stock in the front I'm in.
That should not be a problem, but I will verify the fact first. I will let you know as soon as I contact Brian over at Sway Away.

Quick Reply: Sway Away Front Coil Over Kits