3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Leak on drivers side - for last 3 years!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
bregan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak on drivers side - for last 3 years!

Ok... im starting to bore of this problem. After purchasing this truck, I found the carpet wet after a hard rain on the drivers side... a lot of water, not just damp. I brought it back to the dealership and at first they said it was some rubber boot under the car, then windshield, then finally they said they didn't know how the water was getting in and replaced my carpet... that was the 3rd, and last time I brought it to them. From that point on, I just dealt with the issue as best I could.

I've had the windshield replaced on the truck two times, so I'm fairly certain that is not the point of entry. I took off the window trim and put some caulking in the screwholes thinking that was the issue. At first it seemed to have resolved it (rained a few time and was dry). So, I bought some new carpet, but now its getting wet again.

Has anyone had this problem, and resolved it? It's only the drivers side floor panel that gets wet.

Here are the facts so far:

1. Windshield replaced twice, so more than likely I have a good seal there.
2. Only drivers side floor panel gets wet.
3. Happens only during heavy rain, and the rear of the truck is leaning down in the driveway, so entry must be in the front somewhere.
4. I have tried running water over the top of the truck to see if I can find the leak, with no luck.

Please help!!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

My only guess atm is the heater box inside the cab. Basically, the hot water from the engine passes through it to heat the air going into the cab. This can break, however, and I believe it's under the dash somewhere.

However, you say it's only during the rain? Maybe once you turn your defroster on, since you probably have it a little warmer now that it's winter?

Also, just recheck your door seals - I know mine is a little on the loose side.

Can you tell where from on the driver's side it originates? What direction it's spreading from on the carpet?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bregan
Ok... im starting to bore of this problem. After purchasing this truck, I found the carpet wet after a hard rain on the drivers side... a lot of water, not just damp. I brought it back to the dealership and at first they said it was some rubber boot under the car, then windshield, then finally they said they didn't know how the water was getting in and replaced my carpet... that was the 3rd, and last time I brought it to them. From that point on, I just dealt with the issue as best I could.

I've had the windshield replaced on the truck two times, so I'm fairly certain that is not the point of entry. I took off the window trim and put some caulking in the screwholes thinking that was the issue. At first it seemed to have resolved it (rained a few time and was dry). So, I bought some new carpet, but now its getting wet again.

Has anyone had this problem, and resolved it? It's only the drivers side floor panel that gets wet.

Here are the facts so far:

1. Windshield replaced twice, so more than likely I have a good seal there.
2. Only drivers side floor panel gets wet.
3. Happens only during heavy rain, and the rear of the truck is leaning down in the driveway, so entry must be in the front somewhere.
4. I have tried running water over the top of the truck to see if I can find the leak, with no luck.

Please help!!
Have you looked at the HVAC drain tube? IIRC the drain tubes can become cracked, plugged or dislodging causing the same issue... now dont quote me but I think it would drain on the passenger side. Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in that have had the issue. I havent, but I am pretty sure that was the issue that was found.

Originally Posted by Blu3P0ny
My only guess atm is the heater box inside the cab. Basically, the hot water from the engine passes through it to heat the air going into the cab. This can break, however, and I believe it's under the dash somewhere.

However, you say it's only during the rain? Maybe once you turn your defroster on, since you probably have it a little warmer now that it's winter?

Also, just recheck your door seals - I know mine is a little on the loose side.

Can you tell where from on the driver's side it originates? What direction it's spreading from on the carpet?
P0ny, I think you are talking about the heatercore. If that is the case it would be all the time and it would smell like antifreeze.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:39 PM
phil74501
Professional

I've had this same problem. I asked about it once before. Here was the response to it.

"I had the exact same problem. I've had the truck for two years, but never noticed it before because the truck is almost always garaged. It was outside during a massive downpour a few weeks ago and I noticed the floor mat (not the carpet) on the passenger side was wet. I removed the glove box door so I could see where the water was coming from, then ran water on the windshield until I found the leak. Part of the HVAC system protrudes into a cavity beneath the windwindshield where incoming air is directed. The gasket that seals this part to the body was apparently misaligned. Also, there is a large plastic cover over the wiper mechanism at the base of the windshield. This cover has slots in it to let air in. Where this cover meets the windshield there is a foam gasket which is supposed to prevent water from running straight down the windshield into the air intake cavity. This gasket was also misaligned. I removed it and replaced it with some foam weather stripping from Lowe's. I also put some silicone sealer around the HVAC component I mentioned above. I put everything back together, let the silicone cure for a day or so, then did the hose test again. Problem solved - the leak was totally gone. The truck has been outside since then through several heavy rains and the leak has not returned. Basically, this can be fixed with less than $10 worth of stuff (self-sticking foam weather seal and a tube of silicone) and a little work. The most time consuming part was removing the wiper arms and plastic wiper mechanism cover. The entire operation is less than 1 hour."

Old 01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by phil74501
I've had this same problem. I asked about it once before. Here was the response to it.

"I had the exact same problem. I've had the truck for two years, but never noticed it before because the truck is almost always garaged. It was outside during a massive downpour a few weeks ago and I noticed the floor mat (not the carpet) on the passenger side was wet. I removed the glove box door so I could see where the water was coming from, then ran water on the windshield until I found the leak. Part of the HVAC system protrudes into a cavity beneath the windwindshield where incoming air is directed. The gasket that seals this part to the body was apparently misaligned. Also, there is a large plastic cover over the wiper mechanism at the base of the windshield. This cover has slots in it to let air in. Where this cover meets the windshield there is a foam gasket which is supposed to prevent water from running straight down the windshield into the air intake cavity. This gasket was also misaligned. I removed it and replaced it with some foam weather stripping from Lowe's. I also put some silicone sealer around the HVAC component I mentioned above. I put everything back together, let the silicone cure for a day or so, then did the hose test again. Problem solved - the leak was totally gone. The truck has been outside since then through several heavy rains and the leak has not returned. Basically, this can be fixed with less than $10 worth of stuff (self-sticking foam weather seal and a tube of silicone) and a little work. The most time consuming part was removing the wiper arms and plastic wiper mechanism cover. The entire operation is less than 1 hour."

There we go! I knew it was with the HVAC... I know some of the older Chrysler vehicles had drain issues and for some reason I was thinking the drain tube was the daks issue too. Good work Phil!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Make this a sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

merci beaucoup!!!! thanks alot!!!!! im gonna thy this when cold weather is gone!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
SeanW727
Professional

Goto Walmart, Get a 7$ Deep Tread Rubber Floormat .... Empty it out when it rains.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

I had the same problem on the passenger side. I also believe it is the in hvac system but my cure was simple. Before turning off truck, I had to turn off heat/ac and listen for those little vacuum and mechanical noises to stop, telling me that all vents and blender doors were closed. When I fail to do this and it rains, wet carpet. Otherwise dry as a bone.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:58 AM
xd6jkc

My 1990 D250 was the vent by your left foor--driver's side. Block it off with sheet metal glued in with the "Right Stuff".. It's due to leaves and dirt clogging the drain under fender. My truch no longer leaks, but the roof rotted away due to the water evaporating over time. I fiberglass it about every 2 years.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:29 PM
MikeDakota
Default Found it!!

DRIVERS SIDE LEAK

Hey all, so this issue had been driving me crazy for around 2years.....all these post have been very helpful but unfortunately I've tried all of the suggested ideas but no success, until...success!

Heres a list of things I tried before I found the culprit;
Removed all the interior, floor looks perfect. No obvious rust marks.
I focused around the drivers side as I've never had any moisture in the passenger. (I don't run a/c, so I know that leak wasn't the issue.)
I put new grommets In the holes and even went a bit over board with silicone to help. I checked all the caulk was good with no splits. Everything looked good, unfortunately still a huge leak.

I then went and checked all the door seals by putting a hose on my roof for several minutes really making sure the water was getting in all the cracks. No peak here, so I was convinced there was no leak in the doors/windows etc.
​​​​​​

​​​​​​Then I removed the wiper blade system and all the guttering, I cleaned all this out and again replaced the grommets and I put a tonne of water into the drain underneath the windshield. But still bone dry!

Starting to to worry that it was the split weld underneath the dash, but then for the excessive amount of water I just put into the front drain this would of surely caused the leak. But nothing bone dry.

I moved onto the HVAC system and everything was looking great too, long story short I checked the front for all the weld splits on both passenger and front with a tonne of water (10mins plus) bone dry and no leaks from the HVAC.

I'm loosing my mind by this point.

So now I focus my attention to the back of the cab, not too many access points for water. The rear window, the rear cab light and the cab air holes between the cab and the bed. So I begin to put a tonne of water over the back of the truck for several minutes, I look inside the cab to find a pool of water! Stoked.

I checked the rear cab light and the bolts where pretty much finger tight, so I was certain this was the issue. Tighten them up more water and still a huge leak coming in from the back. Now I clean up this water and begin to hose the rear again being very careful not to get anywhere around the exterior light wet. I look In the cab and huge pool of water, so it's not the rear cab light, straight away I suspect that its the rear window seals.

THEN as I'm inspecting the seals around the rear window, I notice that just below the drain well on the roof on the drivers side....as it approaches the window, there is a join/ weld of two pieces of metal. This had a pretty decent crack in and had split, I again focused a lot of water in they area and boom there was the leak.

Not the worst fix, back window out and a body fill and sole new paint, the leak is 100% fixed.

I tried everything for soooo long and it wasn't happening. I've attached a picture of the area of the crack. I really hope this helps someone as this was rather annoying.

Quick Reply: Leak on drivers side - for last 3 years!