3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Body Lift Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Lift Question.

I am going to attempt to make my own body lift. ( Not out of hockey puck, I know better!) http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...ickid=redirect, that is what I am using. My question is how high can I go before I need steering extensions, etc. and what diameter should I order?
Edit: Also any info on bolts and sizes, as well as how many body mounts we have would be awesome! TIA, Nick

Last edited by Backwoods18; 01-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after performing alot of bodylift kit on many truck you have the expensive way 460$ performance accessories with bracket for bumpers ans stering extension for 3 inches,with perfect look and easyest. someone here did one him self 2" stock stering coupler. but if you want to go wilder than 3" (4-5)i suggest you square tubing and using 2 bolt (stock one) + a new one under you will have WAY less flex while offraoding (my friend P.A. bodilift on his bronco bent all screws the truck looks all wrapped

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic...=9687&start=10

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 01-25-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Merged
Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dakkkota
after performing alot of bodylift kit on many truck you have the expensive way 460$ performance accessories with bracket for bumpers ans stering extension for 3 inches,with perfect look and easyest. someone here did one him self 2" stock stering coupler. but if you want to go wilder than 3" (4-5)i suggest you square tubing and using 2 bolt (stock one) + a new one under you will have WAY less flex while offraoding (my friend P.A. bodilift on his bronco bent all screws the truck looks all wrapped
I want to build it myself. So two inch max with out any modding to steering coupler and radiator, funds are really limited and I have a week off of work so I am looking for something to do and hey, why the hell not? lol. More opinions would be nice. (nothing against you dakkkota but it is my saftey and truck on the line lol) Thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker

for the box mesure from one side to the other so box sits on the square tubbing from left to right

for 2 inches your idea is good!!! nothing against you!!!

im curious to se some one with a 4'' bodylift!!!

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 01-25-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

for 2 inches your idea is good!!! nothing against you!!!
Haha, I didn't take a offense to anything buddy.

im curious to se some one with a 4'' bodylift!!!
That would be cool!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only problem I see with cutting your own sticks of material is insuring the same height of all peices. I suppose if you had a lathe, you might be ok. Hockey pucks really aren't that bad of an idea (been used forever by ranchers, and are all the same height).

Old 01-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
The only problem I see with cutting your own sticks of material is insuring the same height of all peices. I suppose if you had a lathe, you might be ok. Hockey pucks really aren't that bad of an idea (been used forever by ranchers, and are all the same height).
I have seen lots of hockey pucks deteriorate and fall apart in colder weather. I already have it figured out, just need to know how high I can go with out changing linkage's and how many mounts we have and bolt information, (length, diameter etc..)

Old 01-24-2011, 06:08 PM
ruger226
Captain

Hey man i hope you have a heated garage or shop because its effin cold in rochester and im sure its just as bad in oswego.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ruger226
Hey man i hope you have a heated garage or shop because its effin cold in rochester and im sure its just as bad in oswego.
Haha, waiting until tomorrow to crawl under the truck and do some R&D, I will start with the bed portion when I do it. Man, I am so excited. I am either running with the plastic material or washers and pipe, not sure yet. lol

Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Backwoods18
Man, I am so excited. I am either running with the plastic material or washers and pipe, not sure yet. lol
Washers and pipe?? Like galvanized water pipe or something?

Quick Reply: Body Lift Question.