3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 PM
UNCC Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Bumper

Alright, so I have only had my Dakota for a month now, and already someone has hit it, and of course with out letting me know. I walk out to find my rear bumper pushed into the bed of the truck taking the paint off the bumper where they hit it and where the bumper pushed into the bed. now i need a new bumper. I want to get one that I can get painted and dont want to go with chrome. can anyone help by telling me where I can get a bumper either factory or aftermarket for a reasonable price? I was planning on buying the superchip programmer this week too. Now that money is going into fixing the dents,bumper, and paint.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 PM
rengnath
Champion

First thing you need to do is pull off the bumper and see if there was any damage to the hitch that sits behind the bumper and if there is, there may be frame damage. This would need to be fixed if you want the new bumper to sit straight again.

They must have hit you pretty hard. To dent a bumper is easy, to actually push it in to the bed takes some force.

I would start checking junk yards out and pick up the first bumper you find. I doubt you will find one your body color, but even a chrome one can be painted. From Mopar, insurance paid over $500 for one brand new.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FEY makes OEM black bumpers if that is the color you are looking for.

http://www.westinautomotive.com/page..._ALL-apps.html

Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM
rengnath
Champion

This is what you need to check for damage:
IMG_20110121_201205.jpg

Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

wonder what kind of safety ratings these trucks got for rear impact...

Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 PM
UNCC Dakota

thanks for the help, I had a guy that works at a body shop look at it while he was at my work and he told me it looked like my bumper was loose thats why it shifted back so easy and hit my bed, although he told me this with out taking the bumper off and looking at the brace, but he said all i needed was a bumper, and he would fix the rest for me and paint it for $200 if i buy the bumper. Needless to say he is a good friend who is willing to help me out. I dont think the guy that hit me was going really fast since it had to of happend in a parking lot since i was not obviously driving the truck when it was hit, or i would have went after the guy.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

these bumpers are ery weak, i was backing up and went a little to far and hit the corner of a retaining wall, put a nice crease in my bumper. mostly they are for show.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper