3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Scratching my head on an 06 4.7l QC

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 PM
ML_06Dak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratching my head on an 06 4.7l QC

Normally I get all the info I need from older threads on here , but this time I'm at a loss with what could be causing a few issues with my 06 4.7L QC 4x4, so I guess I'll bounce the situation off you guys. I have a feeling I'm losing mpgs right now.

Bone stock motor at 71k, general maintenance/tuneup was done about 20k ago, minus a recent air filter on my last oil change. Running the Autolite 3923 plugs as suggested on here. Run syn motor oil and a good filter, change every 5k. Last two summertime MPGs averaged about 17.5 20/80 city/hw (70-75mph on a 30mile one-way commute). Around Nov., noticed my MPGs dropped to about 15 same driving conditions, which I figure is just normal for winter blend, as is on par with last Nov./Dec.

Since the end of Dec., though, I have been pulling 13 tops and average 12mpg with same driving conditions, no codes are being thrown either.

Replaced struts and shocks with Ranchos about September, and just replaced the entire front end basically with a NAPA lifetime wheel bearing on one side, MOOG ball joints/Control Arms, and Autozone lifetime tie rod ends. Had an alignment done right after.

I figured it was just a bad tank of gas from the place I fill up at all the time, but when it continued for a few tanks after that, and continued when I switched to a different brand, it started me thinking.

Something else it does, it seems to have a little intermittent idle "vibration" I guess would be the best word to describe it, but I think that is the IAC if I remember the thread on here correctly. It also sometimes intermittently slows down 1-2mph when cruising on the eway, enough to make your body shift forward slightly.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to put out all the info I had so far so you guys don't have to ask me a million questions to get the relevant info. I know its a truck and not supposed to get huge mpg totals, but I would love to get back to original mpgs if possible.

Thanks, Matt

Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
ML_06Dak

Prolly should add I am in MI, and fire my truck up w/ remote start 2-3 mins the first time for the day before I get in it and go. No different than last year's winter habits.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds pretty normal. Winter gas sucks. I am sitting at 15 mpg city, and in the summer I am around 20 mpg city. A lot of places are getting away with adding more ethanol to our gas, 10% is the max set by the government. I would wait till the summer comes back to make sure. In the mean time, you can make sure your TB is clean, and run some Seafoam in the gas tank if you like using that stuff.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 PM
ML_06Dak

I've ran Seafoam through the tank, no difference. I have another one sitting on the shelf when I get time to run some through the vacuum line and make yet another YouTube smokescreen video......lmao. Its supposed to warm up this week, so I'll probably go clean out the TB and pull the plugs and verify the gaps are still set right.

Its just weird that it all happened right around the time the front end stuff let loose.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other items to check, snow in the bed add weight, tire pressure not correct, tires unbalanced.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 PM
ML_06Dak

None of that is the problem, bed is covered, and tires were aired up, balanced, and rotated when the alignment was done a few weeks back, pressure was checked earlier today.

I thought O2 maybe, but no code is showing. Unless it is getting lazy with age. Or its just that I am getting down to normal Dak numbers now......damn.

Good thing I'm moving about 5 mins away from work this week, should help keep me from dumping $60 every 2-3 days into this thing for petrol from now on.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Jack er up and make sure those wheels turn free. I know how you northern folks have rust and crud issues.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Robk1971
Professional

Originally Posted by ML_06Dak
I thought O2 maybe, but no code is showing. Unless it is getting lazy with age. Or its just that I am getting down to normal Dak numbers now......damn.
I've had lazy O2 sensors not throw codes but noticeably affect fuel consumption. Might be worth looking into if nothing else comes up.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

my mileage sucks...my first winter with a vehicle i have really noticed the difference (cause of that d@mn overhead thing telling me my mpg)....i was averaging 18-19 when I got her over the summer....16 now...cant wait for spring....

Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jaded
Jack er up and make sure those wheels turn free. I know how you northern folks have rust and crud issues.
Is that how to tell if you need a wheel bearing?

Quick Reply: Scratching my head on an 06 4.7l QC