3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Scratching my head on an 06 4.7l QC

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Mileage seems normal for this time of yr... remember 2-3 starts a day and idling till warm for say 10 mins is almost like driving with the peddle mashed for the same amount of time.

Originally Posted by Backwoods18
Is that how to tell if you need a wheel bearing?
Wheel bearings will usually make noise...

Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM
ML_06Dak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Backwoods18
Is that how to tell if you need a wheel bearing?
I knew mine was bad because I could hear it growling in the front right wheel. I had a Grand Am that made the same noise, and those were notorious for destroying Hub bearings every 10k.

Originally Posted by jkeaton
my mileage sucks...my first winter with a vehicle i have really noticed the difference (cause of that d@mn overhead thing telling me my mpg)....i was averaging 18-19 when I got her over the summer....16 now...cant wait for spring....
That's what mine normally does, drops 2-3mpg with the winter blend. Now its dropped 5-7 mpg. I don't have the overhead computer either, so its all done by paper.

x2 on spring getting here soon too.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is that drop in power you were talking about at highway speeds. How does your fuel pump sound? Are the fuel filters easy to change on the daks? My last truck has this highway speed issue and I solved it with a new filter and eventually a new pump.

If you lose a bit of speed you may find yourself pushing the pedal to get back up. Feathering the throttle so to speak. That will kill gas mileage.

Hope you figure it out before your move because that will change you driving characteristics more than anything.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
There is that drop in power you were talking about at highway speeds. How does your fuel pump sound? Are the fuel filters easy to change on the daks? My last truck has this highway speed issue and I solved it with a new filter and eventually a new pump.

If you lose a bit of speed you may find yourself pushing the pedal to get back up. Feathering the throttle so to speak. That will kill gas mileage.

Hope you figure it out before your move because that will change you driving characteristics more than anything.
The fuel filters inside the gas tank and part of the pump. One is at the base of the pump and the other is internal. They did away with the frame mounted style filters...

Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
ML_06Dak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX

I haven't noticed any weird sounds coming from the pump. I'm going to check the fuel pressure when I get a chance, but I don't think its going to show me anything at idle, considering the loss of speed happens at 75. And I hate that the fuel filter is a Non-serviceable component on these trucks too, that would have been my first fix when I noticed the speed loss.

I will still drive some eway miles, as I have to use this truck for work, driving 20-100 miles a day. I will just lose the consistent 30 miles back and forth every day.

Quick Reply: Scratching my head on an 06 4.7l QC