3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

painted headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
o6dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now when you guys use this spray can stuff. Are you guys putting a plastic adhesion promoter on the plastic before coloring it out with spray paint. When plastic parts are made they have a whats called a release mold agent that permanently comes out of the plastic so it wont stick to the molds when the parts are made. If you don't put an adhesion promoter to temporary stop the release of these agent eventually that paint will start puckering and lifting. Oreilly auto parts sells adhesion promoter that is called bulldog in a spray can and it is commercial grade adhesion promoter. That nightshade stuff may say it sticks to plastic but it wont in the long run without an adhesion promoter. Also anyone out there who hasn't had issues with peel may notice they have a weird fade to the color after a while this too is from the release mold agents.
Lance T

Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
rengnath
Champion

I normally just use a plastic primer. When I went to get my splash guards painted, the body shop used a adhesion promoter though, and even after that the shop said they wouldnt be shocked if the paint does stick. Even though they call the Mopar splash guards paintable, they do need prepping.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by o6dakota
Now when you guys use this spray can stuff. Are you guys putting a plastic adhesion promoter on the plastic before coloring it out with spray paint. When plastic parts are made they have a whats called a release mold agent that permanently comes out of the plastic so it wont stick to the molds when the parts are made. If you don't put an adhesion promoter to temporary stop the release of these agent eventually that paint will start puckering and lifting. Oreilly auto parts sells adhesion promoter that is called bulldog in a spray can and it is commercial grade adhesion promoter. That nightshade stuff may say it sticks to plastic but it wont in the long run without an adhesion promoter. Also anyone out there who hasn't had issues with peel may notice they have a weird fade to the color after a while this too is from the release mold agents.
Lance T
even with sanding and/or self etching primer? Not that I doubt you but it just seems like another company out there trying to make a buck by saying if you dont use their product this or that will happen...

Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wet sanded it throughly with 1500 grit paper before I painted

Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 PM
fingers588
Amateur

Originally Posted by Eimer123
This is what the covers look like, picture courtesy of Jkeaton's garage photos

Hey markbomgardner, are you getting rid of your headlight covers if you do the nightshades on your headlights? Are the covers painted or primered? I've been looking online for these covers and the prices are reasonable but if i can get a used pair for less that would be great!!! Nonetheless, i'm still tossed whether or not I should also do the nightshades on my taillights and headlights. Keep up the good work guys!! Looking good!!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I'm thinking about painting mine the same way using body color.....the covers do not sit exactly flush and I want to do eyebrows. Right now I have black tape under the covers to create the eyebrow effect when the lights are on (makes her look mad..lol) Cant really tell during the day though, I'm thinking painted ones would be better.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
o6dakota

Not selling any products you can use bull dog or they sell from urethane supply company bumper and cladding promoter. I run a collision repair facility and plastic in specific needs an adhesion promoter or a plastic primer which acts as an adhesion promoter. I just painted my rear flaps on my truck 1 year ago and had to use an adhesion promoter on them cause they come raw not primed. I didn't even use bulldog i used Sherwin Williams since that is what i used for base and clear. A recommendation of a product doesn't mean i work for a company for the one or two people on here who are smart enough to take advice and buy a 6 dollar can of adhesion promoter. Also if anyone is painting chrome they should be using an acid etching primer or epoxy before painting because the color wont stick to that either.
Lance T

Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
o6dakota

Self etching primer also does not etch plastic just metal. The concern with plastic isn't the etch it is the release mold agent that are released from plastic when you paint plastic you don't even have to scuff since the adhesion promoter provides a chemical bond not a mechanical bond.
Lance T

Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Ok man...I wasn't hating on you or anything...no offense intended and thank you for the advice.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM
o6dakota

Not meaning to be a dick or anything but that kinda stuff can make or break a repair and when that stuff starts peeling off plastic it is a nightmare to correct i have done it before. None taken.

Quick Reply: painted headlights