3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

painted headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 AM
fingers588
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok a little help needed then. If i were to get a pair of AVS headlight covers all ready painted gloss black, what would be the steps to change them to body color? Should the gloss paint be completely removed or can i get away with just sanding them down, priming them then painting them body colored? Would i have issues later with the paint not sticking? Should i get rid of the gloss paint all together? Should i get a can of that adhesion promotor? If so when does it get applied? All these questions are obvious I dont want to screw this up and am looking for the right direction here. Thanks guys!!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM
o6dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you going to be using spray paint or auto paint. If you are using spray paint i would scuff em down prime them let primer sit till its dry to touch and then apply color directly over the primer the primer will act as a sealer to separate the substrate from the color in case there are issues with the substrate or what you are using for color. If you are using auto grade you can go 2 ways scuff and seal then color or scuff for solid colors 600 or with metallics 1000 and apply directly over substrate. Typically a sealer is recommend especially when you don't know what product is on that you are top coating since there are compatibility issues with spraying lacquer over urethane or vise versa. In case anyone wants to know all that sealer is is a primer that has been reduced additionally so it lays smooth so you can paint directly over without sanding.

Quick Reply: painted headlights