3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Catch Can!!! NO JOKE, I am in shock.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truck does run better with it installed. Yes, I had to RTV the top fittings as they also leaked.

I have mine wedged between the overflow tank and fender

I WISH it was coffee! I am still freaked out by this! Today I will be replacing the EGR and dumping the oil afterwards....also gonna pull the MAP to see if it is clean or snotty

Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow... that is a bit... are you romping on it alot?

I guess its not a bad investment.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Whens the last time you changed the oil? Hope it does not look like that too!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The entire idea of a catch can is to "catch" the oil that moves from the crank case to the intake. In-turn, this keeps the areated oil from reaching the intake: hence, keeping the entire intake plenum, throttle body, runners, ports, valves, etc. clean.

There are three ways that will allow "more" oil to travel to the catch can.

1.) Bad compression. This is caused by scored cylinder walls, bad rings, or a combination of the both. When the pistons are on their compression stroke, the rings are not sealing against the cylinder wall as well as a fresh engine. There is a little air and fuel that pass by the rings into the crank case. This is defined as "blow-by". Typically, when you have a bunch of milkshake oil, you are seeing the combination of oil with fuel and/or moisture.

2.) Poor baffeling in the valve cover. This can ruin your entire diagnosis if it wants to. This is a very unlikely cause, based on a factory valve cover. However, it should be considered.

3.) Consistant high rpm running. If you are constantly "on the pipe" (as us old school motocross'ers call it). This will cause more oil areation in the crank case, which will make its way to the can.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
The entire idea of a catch can is to "catch" the oil that moves from the crank case to the intake. In-turn, this keeps the areated oil from reaching the intake: hence, keeping the entire intake plenum, throttle body, runners, ports, valves, etc. clean.

There are three ways that will allow "more" oil to travel to the catch can.

1.) Bad compression. This is caused by scored cylinder walls, bad rings, or a combination of the both. When the pistons are on their compression stroke, the rings are not sealing against the cylinder wall as well as a fresh engine. There is a little air and fuel that pass by the rings into the crank case. This is defined as "blow-by". Typically, when you have a bunch of milkshake oil, you are seeing the combination of oil with fuel and/or moisture.

2.) Poor baffeling in the valve cover. This can ruin your entire diagnosis if it wants to. This is a very unlikely cause, based on a factory valve cover. However, it should be considered.

3.) Consistant high rpm running. If you are constantly "on the pipe" (as us old school motocross'ers call it). This will cause more oil areation in the crank case, which will make its way to the can.
Nice explanation man. Number 3 is the what I was getting at with my question You covered all the bases though.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Nice explanation man. Number 3 is the what I was getting at with my question You covered all the bases though.
Right, thanks Lightning. I'm naturally assuming that the OP is having symptoms of blow-by, based on what is "most common". Assuming that the PCV system is funtioning correctly, I would imagine that he is getting blow-by.

Even if he was running high rpm consistanty, its a stretch to imaging that you would see "that" much accumulation in a short period. Hell, I can make 15 passes on the track with the race car and not get that much accumulation. But then again, my engine is fairly fresh (only has 40-50 track passes and around 30 passes on the dyno). I hardly get anything in my catch can, and I run 25psi of boost. Although, I have additional baffeling.

To the original poster: My first suggestion is to do both a compression test and a leak down check on your engine. This will not cost you very much "play-dough" and give you some information in the diagnosis.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

Well, I changed the oil today, it looked nothing like the catch can I had 5k on the oil (full synthetic). I also changed the EGR valve (what fun that was).

The truck runs great, I am sure the compression is fine It uses no oil, does not smoke, etc. The majority of the muck was actually water. I am leaning towards the stupid PCV setup on the 2005s.

Of course, I do tend to jump on it a bit Also, most of this muck came in cold weather (and I did a bunch of driving in the wee hours of the morning, lots o frost/condensation.

I am gonna keep a closer watch on the can.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I would keep a close eye on the catch can. If you go over a large enough bump when that can is full, you know where all that milkshake is going; right to your intake.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain

Oh, it will never get that full again......that much I can tell you

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can!!! NO JOKE, I am in shock.