3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2007 Sport Questions (About to buy)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
wcarlton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Sport Questions (About to buy)

Hey all, new here. I am currently looking at purchasing a used Dakota, I have found a good deal for a 2007 Sport with 60,000 KM. After taking it for a drive I asked for a copy of the carproof collision report. The truck was involved in an accident back in 2007 with a claim of $8,900.00. Do you guys think I should stay clear of it? Front end appears to have been replaced, no frame damage, and theres not a chip or scratch in sight.
Also does anyone have any advice on buying used Dakotas/Small Pickups?

Thanks!

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/DODGE/DAK...ms=trucks_vans

Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, welcome to Dodge Forum and the G3 Dakota section.

I would use the info to get the best deal possible and buy the truck. I've owned mine since 2005, and it has been my favorite truck by far. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
jnjinfla
Rookie

I love my recently bought 06. Having said that I would look long and hard into this truck. If it was repaired right, and had NO possible frame damage, or damage to suspension and steering mounting points than it should give you many miles of driving pleasure. If there is any question about these items I would steer clear. While the price might be right in your area if issues arise from the previous crash you will in the long run be very disappointed. I find it hard that 9k in damage to the front end did not cause some type of structural damage that required repair. Also there is a high possibility that the airbags popped. While they can be replaced allot of times post deployment the dash will squeek and rattle. It might be worth spending a few $$$ and paying someone to take an independent complete look at the truck if you are that interested in it.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I agree with jnjinfla, do your research thoroughly. It really had $9k in damage and still has a good title? Your talking over half of the trucks value now.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran

Looks like a nice truck, good luck with the buy and welcome to the forum!

If you do buy it and there are any problems this forum and the people here can pretty much solve anything that's going on.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM
wcarlton

Thanks for the quick reply everyone. This week I will be taking it on a test drive to my mechanic and have him put it in the air and see whats going on underneath. Keeping my fingers crossed there isnt anything major, The sales guy gave me some pitch about how Dodge inflates the cost of the collision repair and assured me it was probably just a rear end.....i find that hard to believe maybe if it was only 4 or 5 grand.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Robk1971
Professional

Good luck. I hope it turns out alright, it is a nice looking truck. Get a good look at it yourself while it's on the hoist if you can and focus on the frame. Look for new suspension components. Bodywork these days does not come cheap and if the airbags popped, that would jack the cost real quick. Hell just getting a very small dent in a panel pulled and painted on my van cost almost $1000. Make sure it drives very straight and check the width of the gaps between all the panels. Look at the way the hood sits in relation to the fenders, grill alignment in relation to the bumper; anything you can think of. If all that checks out then definitely use it as a bargaining chip.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
jnjinfla
Rookie

Well serious issues have popped up due to your reply. Most people can spot body damage repair and you have indicated that the front end was replaced. Now I ask you this.... how in the hell can a front end impact cause rear end damages?!?! Also I'm sure in Canada most repair shops use "the book" in estimating damage repair as we do in the states. I am also sure that the previous owners insurance required him to get more than one estimate which means if the repair was 8900 the other estimates were very close to that amount, and possibly more. Your sleaseman sounds like a typical used car guy. To me there are way too many issues. I would run from this truck. I assure you that you will find another truck within your budget damage free.

As a related note with that amount of damage on a clear title most US dealers will not give more than rough black book even if in perfect shape. That is because the value of the truck takes a crap. In the US that truck, a 2007 Dakota SLT Sport 2wd optioned and mileaged like yours, would be worth US$9575 black book rough trade in.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that price, USA or Canadian? I assume Canadian. That seams like a ok price, a little high. I would at least try to talk down the price a couple thousand, or at least get a decent warranty. I am not sure if the 2008 had a power-train warranty but if it did and you are the second owner make sure to pay the warranty transfer (its like $150 USA) Some other items other that frame damage would be the electrical, make sure its not done half ***. Since you do not know who did the repairs always be suspicious.
I did notice that the center dash cover is not the original color, might want to pull it off and make sure no one did some hack wiring behind it.
If this is a Canadian truck.. make sure the day light running lights work (think its the law across the border)

Last edited by Eimer123; 02-21-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

if you r looking for a dak i am selling mine just decided if your intrested pm me i am selling for a good price .

Quick Reply: 2007 Sport Questions (About to buy)