3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My Stereo install. COMPLETE W PICS. Sounds incredible!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:35 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I'll tell you what I really like though, the Kicker sub really hits hard, all the bass I could want and then some. But from the outside of the truck it dont sound like a lot of ghetto systems where all you hear is rumbling bass, a vibrating trunk and nothing else. Even with it turned all the way up most of what I hear from the outside the actual music, with a little bass, but once you open a window or door the full range of sound just pours out... I love it! So for you quad cab guys looking for a good amount of low tones I would totally go with the MTX thunderform enclosure (just the shell) and get your own sub and amp.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Awesome job, enjoy!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Job! I'm jealous!!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
gjmoran
Captain

man i really want to do something like this but i cant justify spending over 200 bucks just for a sub enclosure

Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

This is what i got for my 10" worked perfect 35 bucks and its vented. got shipped to my house in 3 days and paid 45 bucks. and it fits perfect between my back 2 seats i'll take pics for ya guys today. btw dude nice set up. i'll show you how i ran mine dodge had sum holes already i just had to pop open the side thing to get under the carpet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atrend+-...&skuId=9027037

Old 02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Thanks Raven, I'll be honest this was my first time ever doin something like this, and if I can do it I sure anyone can. If anyone wants to duplicate what I did I can give you all the details.

I hear ya, it was hard droppin more on the sub enclosure than on the amp for it, but it was the only way I could get a box that had enough volume to handle that sub. If you know anyone that can do fiberglass, or if you wanna try it yourself, you might be able to make one. Or just be patient. I found a guy here on the forum that had one, but by the time I found him he had just sold it, so look here or on craigslist and you might get lucky. I shopped around for a while before I got the one I did

Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Thanks Money, the biggest thing that I was goin for was that I wanted everything to be hidden and keep a clean stock look. Thats why I stuck with the factory radio. When ppl get in and I turn on the radio, they are WTF! , "where the hell is your stereo?! It makes me smile.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

Originally Posted by italiandominator
Thanks Money, the biggest thing that I was goin for was that I wanted everything to be hidden and keep a clean stock look. Thats why I stuck with the factory radio. When ppl get in and I turn on the radio, they are WTF! , "where the hell is your stereo?! It makes me smile.

lol i hear ya but my old unit wasnt holding cds right and no hook up for my ipod so i got then alpine head unit and ppl get in think its stock, idk how but okay. the box in the back ppl get in think its an arm rest untill i turn it up a bit. it gets loud and the sub its pretty hard for only receving 500 watts. the sub takes up 2 1800 watts by itself and its only 1 10'' ppl think i have 2 tens lol. only thing is with windows down she hits harder! windows up it quiets up abit not much air to move. lol

Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg
im thinking of moving the amp too above the sub on the back wall. to do this i was just gonna use sum velcro... wat ya think? btw i added that last pic because i finally cleaned her right. back when i went to Cabelas i just power washed it and then detailed it. really didn't look good.

Last edited by Moneyman19; 02-23-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
italiandominator
All Star

I solved my ipod problem by upgrading to an 07 oem radio that had an aux input. Ran it behind the radio bezel and the power cord from the cig lighter behind as well. mounted my nano right next to the volume ****. Works well, cuz when the truck in gear my hand rests right next to it. as far as your mounting of the amp. I would check to see how hard it would be to remove that back paneling. If it aint too hard I would get a fastener that can sit behind it, drill through, and use screws if possible. There is a good chance that if you covered the whole back with velcro that it would stick just fine, but it also wouldnt be that hard to rip off if someone wanted too. I like to show my friends what Im packing, but I dont want some hood rat walkin up to my truck and seeing what I got. Mitigate temptation to thieves. Fyi, if you want to hide your wiring a lil better, than in the door, there is a rubber grommet underneath your dash that you can poke through. Also, not sure if you have replaced your door speakers yet, but if you do and are going to run an amp to them like I did and need to run new speaker wire I can show you what I did to run the wire through that corragated rubber sleeve that all the other door wiring is run through. I see what you mean now, as far as your box being an arm rest. At first I thought you had a quad cab and was curious where you put that thing, lol. Its been an issue for us quad cab guys to add a sub and not take up seating, and still have it sound good. I fully admit my entire set up was pricey (about a grand) but it is for sure paying off. But if you got any questions, issues, or just lookin for ideas hit me up dude!

Quick Reply: My Stereo install. COMPLETE W PICS. Sounds incredible!!!