3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Weird noise bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Jeremy Holbrook
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise bellhousing

So of course I always have a problem that doesn't come up in searches. I've noticed a weird scraping noise coming from my bell housing. It happens in park, drive, neutral. I was sitting in park and noticed when I hit the brakes it would go away, foot off the brakes it would start again. It just started out of the blue one day and I have no idea what it could be. Fluids fine, crawled under the truck and it sounds like it's coming right from the bell housing. Any ideas?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant explain why it wouldnt do it with touching the brakes but it sounds like your flex plate. i cant see it happening but it could be your flewxplate bolts scrapping againt the block and that would mean you have crankshaft play. if you can grab the crank pully and try to push it in and out.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 PM
bruno426
Captain

my guess would be a vacuum issue some where not in the bell housing, but above it...where are the egr valves on these engines?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bruno426
egr valves on these engines?
It's on the back of the block, between the driver side head and intake manifold. It is a pain to change, lol.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Niknikktm

I have the same type of problem. It just started out of the blue and sounds a lot like two distinct noises combined. One is a metal on metal scraping sound and the other is a metal on metal tinging sound like a metal fan blade hitting the metal finger gaurd on an old fan. I noticed it coming from the bellhousing and brought it to my mechanic. He removed the inspection cover of the bellhousing and noticed a scraping pattern on the inside of it like a bolt had been scraping. The cover was not dented in at all so he could not understand why it would just now start scraping like that. He quickly just tapped it out a bit and I think used a grinder to get a couple mil more of room in there and the problem went away.........for about a week. It's back now but just a fraction of what it used to be. I'm guessing it's just barely scraping again. Seems to be a bit louder when I throw it in reverse and back up.

Bottom line: it's definetely not the EGR. My question is what is going on in there that would cause the works to push outwards and scrape against the housing?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional

This sound definitely isn't metal on metal. I changed out the EGR and it didn't go away. I've also developed an exhaust leak. I am planning on changing the gaskets from manifold to head but was wondering how often the flanges that go from manifold to cat's leak. From what I've researched there isn't a gasket there, the local exhaust shop quoted $200 each side to replace the flange's which seems insane....

Quick Reply: Weird noise bellhousing