3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Time for New Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the nipples installed and everything is good to go now. Another tip for anyone doing this; make sure you have a spare jack or something to support the hub when you pull the ball joint out. It will fall, and Im not sure if it would overextend the CV shaft or not, but I didnt want to risk it. I have 2 floor jacks, so I just had it holding it up while I swapped the control arms.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it has been a few days with these new control arms/ ball joints and I can officially give them the green light for you guys to use.

They are nice and tight, steering has improved greatly, and the boots are both holding grease as they should. (I had pumped them up off the truck before I installed them, so after initial install they released some grease/air)

The truck is noise free, drives right, and the arms and boots look to be in great shape.

These are a good option if you don't want to spring for the moogs.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 03-22-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

My ride is going into the shop tomorrow to have all the parts installed. Next time around I might try the job myself.

The Moog lowers do come full of grease.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Got the truck back this afternoon - and WOW. Just like when I had a bad wheel bearing - you don't realize how bad the problem was until it's fixed.

Quieter, smoother, tighter - even the brakes feel better without all the slop in the front end as the truck's weight shifts. My truck feels like it's brand new.

Quick Reply: Time for New Control Arms