3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Seatbtbelt Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Seatbtbelt Warning

I have searched and searched the abundance of threads on the seatbelt warning chime....Most all of the just talk about how to turn the chime off, but now how to actually fix a problem. My truck just started doing this this weekend. The belt is buckeled but the light/chime keep going off. If I push down on the buckle or take tension off the belt, it will stop, so it tells me there is a sensor or switch in the buckle part that is not making or getting worn out, etc. Hs anyone actually repaired one of these or is it repairable? I have turned off the chime but the red dash light keeps going on and off unless I hold the buckle and put pressure on the latch. Of course, there might be a thread I missed??

Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
kwanczyk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i bought mine it did the same thing... where the belt actually clips in under the red clip down there is a sensor that needs to be replaced. i had the dealership do it, but they got it done and that fixed it. i do not know how much they cost or the price to get it replaced, but that is definitely the problem.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
rengnath
Champion

Well since you can currently get it to register as buckled by holding it in, I would suggest you turn off the chime asap until you fix the problem. You cant fix the problem once the sensor is completly shot, but since you can get it to register as buckled you can. I believe its turn the ignition to on, and then buckle and unbuckle quickly until you hear a ding. That way you will only have a seat belt light on until you get if fixed.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
utahdakota
Professional

I had the same problem with mine, seems like faulty sensors to me. Too lazy to actually fix the problem so i simply cut the 2 wires going to the sensor and wired them together, no more annoying seatbelt chime, ever haha

Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Bobby I already turned off the chime....and thanks utahdakota, I was wondering if it was just a dry normally open contact, I would jumper them. Thanks guys. Funny how just all the sudden...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I have been on the "waiting list" at 2 pull-a-parts in winston salem for almost a year...there are NO 3rd gen dakotas around here apparently....lol...but I agree, if I could find one, that is what I would do...

Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

found it.....in case anyone else has ever had this issue....Dodge apparently felt the need to run the wires over the seat track....how stupid....

and how i fixed it....until I feel the need to wire it back to the other part of the wires..lol

Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM
rengnath
Champion

Classy, Kent!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a permanent fix to me!

Quick Reply: Seatbtbelt Warning