3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

rusting through my rear fenders. suggestions on where to get it done? MI

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I got no body rust, but everything else seems to be rusting pretty bad...lol...i just get paint or undercoating and paint it over.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm...whats the manner in which you guys wash your trucks? (those of you with rust problems)

I rarely wash my truck, but when I do I go to a super high pressure touch-less wash, that does a great job of getting dirt out of every nook and cranny.

It's salt city here in NY during the winters...and the only rust I have is on the rear bumper, which began from a small dent I had to bang out.

Whats the deal?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
kwanczyk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sl2racer
i thought dodge had a seperate warranty for dealing with rust. it may be on the frame only though.
i found out last night that my rust warranty ends tomorrow... so i took it to the dealership and they took pictures and sent them to chrysler and will contact me back. judging by what they said constitutes to be under the warranty, it will not be covered. they say that there must be holes through the sheet metal, i just have rusting of the top surface and if there was rust through the metal it is covered by the other rust on top of it. so it looks like i will just sand it myself, throw some rustoleum primer and then clearcoat it with the addition of the bushwackers.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the corrosion warranty is only for metal that actually rusts through within 7 years I believe. I have no body rust at all. I always hand wash it, and there is always a coat different waxes and sealers on it. Not sure how it was treated for the first 86k miles, but the body is in awesome shape for having 117k miles on it now. I don't do high pressure washes; that strips the paint of any protection IMO. The first key to preventing rust is to get all dirt off of the paint. Dirt absorbs moisture, and when you don't wash your truck ever and it rains often, all that dirt helps in the process of rust forming because the paint cant dry off. And don't forget to wash the dirt from the back sides of any panels that are accessible, like under your bed. That will prevent rust from forming from the inside.

Last edited by rengnath; 03-23-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would actually like to know where people park their truck, people with fender rust. I park on a horrid gravel driveway that is never maintenance.

Yes our truck has a rust warranty, but it really only covers rust through holes. They wont do anything for peeling paint due to surface rust.

warranty.jpg

Quick Reply: rusting through my rear fenders. suggestions on where to get it done? MI