3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

will these fit??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Dinger838
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will these fit??

2008+ jeep wrangler rims? and if not couldnt i get a wheel spacer/adapter?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:02 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope they won't fit, The Wrangler is a 5x5 (weird) and Dakota is a 5x5.5. If you get adaptors, Spidertrax is a really good brand. Look around though, some vehicles have long stock bolts and you need a thicker adaptor to cover them. 1.5 inch usually covers most but if you go thinner, make sure it will cover them too.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 AM
TomZ
Professional

I would avoid adapters. Inexpensive ones break. Any adapter will add more offset to the wheel and unsprung weight. Heavier wheel assemblies decrease braking to some degree. Stick with the correct bolt pattern. Any time you increase offset you're changing the geometry of the assembly. Positive offset (wheels sticking out further) place the load of the vehicle to the outside of the wheel bearings, increasing heat and decreasing bearing life. Instead of the load (vehicle and wheel/tire assembly) being centered over the bearing, changing the offset shifts everything, one way or another. This is especially important when towing. Adapters have way too many drawbacks for me, considering how inexpensivly you can get the correct pattern used wheels.

Last edited by TomZ; 04-07-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
I would avoid adapters. Inexpensive ones break. Any adapter will add more offset to the wheel and unsprung weight. Heavier wheel assemblies decrease braking to some degree. Stick with the correct bolt pattern. Any time you increase offset you're changing the geometry of the assembly. Positive offset (wheels sticking out further) place the load of the vehicle to the outside of the wheel bearings, increasing heat and decreasing bearing life. Instead of the load (vehicle and wheel/tire assembly) being centered over the bearing, changing the offset shifts everything, one way or another. This is especially important when towing. Adapters have way too many drawbacks for me, considering how inexpensivly you can get the correct pattern used wheels.
Wouldn't a wheel that comes with the same offset that matches a stock wheel with a spacer create the same issues? I agree that wheel spacers are not the best option, but they are a great, cost effective solution to fix a problem temporarily. Sure, after long term use of spacers or a crazy offset wheel, one would see premature wear on certain components. But the extra weight you see from a wheel spacer is hardly noticable. It is mostly towards the center of the axis, unlike a heavier wheel, where it is towards the spread out from the axis to the radious.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
TomZ
Professional

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Wouldn't a wheel that comes with the same offset that matches a stock wheel with a spacer create the same issues? I agree that wheel spacers are not the best option, but they are a great, cost effective solution to fix a problem temporarily. Sure, after long term use of spacers or a crazy offset wheel, one would see premature wear on certain components. But the extra weight you see from a wheel spacer is hardly noticable. It is mostly towards the center of the axis, unlike a heavier wheel, where it is towards the spread out from the axis to the radious.
Yes, if the offset of the replacement wheels, plus the adapters matched the factory offset, there would be no geometry change. Yes, again, the rotational weight would not increase signifigently, but would increase. Adding unsprung weight can have noticable effects.