3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Inner Tie Rod Ends

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:55 PM
thecause17
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Tie Rod Ends

Has anyone here actually replaced their inner tie rod ends? A couple weeks ago I started getting major squeaking up front when going over bumps and steering. I originally though ball joints, but after investigating the problem I've traced the noise down to the inner tie rod/rack area.

Just curious if anyone has replaced these. I'd appreciate insight on the job. Moog replacements are about $40 so it's not pricey at all so I'd rather just do it myself instead of taking it in and paying the $100 for the warranty deductable and getting it replaced with another POS part.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I am replacing my entire rack next week, and during my research I have found that they have changed the design of the inner tie rods to a new design last year. You will need an alignment afterwords, so it might be worth paying the $100 for the work, and do not let them pull the it does not need an alignment bull**** on you, get the alignment rack printout saying your truck was done. You might even get a free rental out of it.

Funny part is that even the new 2011 Dakota manuals say the rack cannot be serviced, but it can be to some extent.

I do not have the part #, but the dealership should be able to get it for you.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by Eimer123
Actually I am replacing my entire rack next week, and during my research I have found that they have changed the design of the inner tie rods to a new design last year. You will need an alignment afterwords, so it might be worth paying the $100 for the work, and do not let them pull the it does not need an alignment bull**** on you, get the alignment rack printout saying your truck was done. You might even get a free rental out of it.

Funny part is that even the new 2011 Dakota manuals say the rack cannot be serviced, but it can be to some extent.

I do not have the part #, but the dealership should be able to get it for you.
At this point I'm not sure what I even need to replace now. After I posted this thread I went back out to the garage and removed the boot that's on the rack. After again reproducing the noise by turning the wheel, it may not be the tie rod end after all. At this point it almost seems to be coming from one of the axle shaft boots. Furthermore, the noise can only be reproduced with the suspension compressed like it would be with weight on it. To do this with the wheel off I put another floor jack under the lower ball joint and compressed the suspension simulating the normal positioning.

Do you think this could be a lubrication issue with the axle joints? This truck sits for weeks at a time when we don't have snow or I'm not hauling anything. I had it out a month ago and and there was no noise. The truck sat for a couple weeks and its been doing it ever since.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

eimer can you do me a HUGE favor if you can. when you replace the rack. or if the dealers do. can you possibly snap some pics of the ball and socket on the inside of the boot. (the inner) and let me know how it attaches to the ram (that slides inside the rack itself) sometimes they are welded and sometimes threaded. huge kudos if you can produce some info for me. THANKS!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 AM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by 06dak287
eimer can you do me a HUGE favor if you can. when you replace the rack. or if the dealers do. can you possibly snap some pics of the ball and socket on the inside of the boot. (the inner) and let me know how it attaches to the ram (that slides inside the rack itself) sometimes they are welded and sometimes threaded. huge kudos if you can produce some info for me. THANKS!!!!
You're in luck, I took a pic of mine when I had the boot off last night.

It looks threaded to me, there is a place to put a wrench on both the "ram" and tie rod end.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 06dak287

I have the new rack in the back seat of my truck, I will pull the boot and get some pics later today.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased my tie rods at NAPA, come with a 36000 mile warrenty or 3 year, I always trust NAPA

Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

thank you soo much!!! so the socket is threaded onto the ram? one more favor. (but only if you have it laying around) measure the thread pitch and length of the threads on the ram. pretty pretty please

Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

Pictures as promised (I can measure the thread length and pitch on the old one when it is removed, I do not want to pull apart the new one).

IMAG0623.jpg

IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG0619.jpg

IMAG0622.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

saweet! the fact that the inner joint is threaded on is great news for anyone with "future upgrades" in mind

yea dont go screwing with the new rack but if you can measure the threads on the old one. the pitch and the length. perfect!

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Inner Tie Rod Ends