3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Has anyone experimented with different gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone experimented with different gas?

Hey everyone,

So most of you know my driving style and my opinion on gas mileage. I normally drive it like a rental, and I dont track gas mileage because its pretty irrelevant to me. Last week, I decided just for ***** and giggles, that I would see what I was getting. I ended up with 12.9 MPGs. Maybe it was a bit faulty? So I tried again, and I babied the hell out of it for the most part (except for when I raced someone last night and had to wind it up to 100mph). Today I got 14.75 which still isnt where it should be since it was averaged over 200 miles, mostly highway driving and little stop-and-go traffic.

I think I figured it out, and Ill confirm it in a week; its the gasoline. Long story short, I ALWAYS used BP 93 with the SC 91 tune, but before winter they build a Kwik Trip gas station a mile from my house. Since then, I always filled up there, using the "Top tier" 93 gas. My brother mentioned last week he just filled up with BP and got a huge difference with his on board monitoring. I dont think he is full of it either .... there is no way my truck should be getting less than 15. I use to pull 16mpgs out of it, driving like an *** 98% of the time, when I used BP. If I search online, alot of others feel that Top Tier is a sham, and BP does have alot better gas. Looks like I may be switching my preferred gas station back to Broken-Pipe ..... It appears that Top Tier really isnt that great, with a minimum requirement of 8% ethanol and the other requirements aren't really up to par. Has anyone else noticed a difference in gasolines, specifically when using "quality" gas? I know corner stations may water their stuff down and all, but Im talking about comparing gas considered Top Tier to BP, Exon, ect.

Last edited by rengnath; 05-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

hmmm...interesting....i usually get my gas from a quality mart, which is shell, or circle k, which is citgo....dont notice any difference in mileage...

Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, beyond basic trial to make sure I didn't get awful performance on the local "el cheapo" station gas compared to big brands I never paid that much attention. I shall have to do some experimenting with my next few tanks (in all likelihood I'll forget and gas up at the cheapo place on the way home from work when the tank gets low then curse myself for forgetting )

Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
rengnath
Champion

It just really irritates me that I have been paying for Top Tier guaranteed gas, and it really is nothing special. Ill spend the 5 cents more on BP (who does not participate in the Top Tier program) and get the better mileage. If you seach google, you find a ton of people who are against Top Tier ..... and I dont find alot of people arguing in Top Tier defense.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:59 AM
ruger226
Captain

Bobby you are right in rochester ny we have "fastrac" gas stations that are 5-10 cants cheaper but the gas is crap. I found that sunoco and exxon mobil sell the best gas. I will never buy cheap gas because my trucks runs like crap and my mpg drops.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have any of those cheapo stations around me. But I have noticed I get about 50 miles more out of Shell or BP than I do from Citgo, Speedway, Marathon.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM
damyankee84
Veteran

All gas at all gas stations is basically the same. It all comes from the same pipeline and storage facility. The only difference is when the different companies pick it up they ad thier own additives to the mix to make it thier own special blend. So someone like BP is going to use a better additive then say the walmart gas stations.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM
rengnath
Champion

I know gas normally comes from the same spot, but Kwik Trip trucks theirs down from Northern WI here. The only logical thing I could think of was that Kwik Trip still may be on winter blend depending on how fast they go through their storage tank. I wish I could get gas analyzed like oil .....

PS- Performance gain is noticable with the BP gas. I nearly shat myself when I got on it today. Top Tier can suck a big one .....

Last edited by rengnath; 05-09-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:52 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by ericemery
I have found that taco bell gas is awefullllll. Chico's gas is much better.
You cant say that here! How do you think that one guy ended up putting NOS energy drink in to his bike's gas tank ...... people believe anything they read nowadays

Quick Reply: Has anyone experimented with different gas?