3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Clever HAM or CB Radio Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Brand
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clever HAM or CB Radio Mount

I know there are lots of threads on this topic; but most are under the various RAM forums. This solution is appropriate for the various Dakotas (where space is short), and might be useful for RAM, Durango and other vehicles as well.

I have the split bench/bucket seat option in my 2005 Dakota Club Cab. Mounting my 2-meter HAM transceiver vertically on the transmission hump seemed to make the most sense, and I was pondering how to fabricate an appropriate bracket . . . when I saw these gathering dust in my garage:

A simple steel bookend. I had a couple of different sizes, but the smallest among them worked out fine. I bent it to achieve a slight rearward tip; I secured the radio with extremely flat- and smooth-headed bolts, since the bolt heads will be against the upholstery; gave it a quick shot with satin black from a rattle can, and screwed it to the transmission hump.

Power and ground wires, plus the antenna lead, run under the seat. I ran under the carpet just the last few inches before surfacing under the door sill trim.

That's a Yaesu FT-1500 2-meter rig, by the way. UNDER the center seat is one of these. To this I connect a Cobra 75WXST citizen's band unit from time to time. The speaker, tuner, volume, squelch, display, etc. are all built right into the hand-held mic. When I disconnect and stow the mic unit, there's NOTHING left showing.

The bookend was just perfectly sized. It's sufficiently rigid, and it's mostly hidden by the radio anyway.

Brand
W3IHC

Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it was made for that spot. I was pondering around with the idea to mount a cb but wasnt sure where to put it, but now I know.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Brand
Professional

Originally Posted by damyankee84
Looks like it was made for that spot. I was pondering around with the idea to mount a cb but wasnt sure where to put it, but now I know.
I have about ten of those bookends . . . well, NINE, now. Want the odd one? ;-)

Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

that is a great idea! now have to make it work with my center console...lol...

Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i wish i could do that but ive got cup holders there. i had to velcro my cobra ltd 29 to the clove box door.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Brand
Professional

*tips hat*

"Clever" is my middle name.

My cup holders are just in front of that little change compartment thingy, just off the right edge of the 2nd and 3rd pics.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its different for the 6spd i have one cup holder on the left side of the shifter. and an accessory one velcro'd where ur radio is.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 AM
SilverGhost1
All Star

perfect solution. nice job and idea.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Nice innovation. Looks so clean

Old 05-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Brand
Professional

Thought I'd finish the story with how I ended up doing my antenna.

I purchased a Diamond K400C antenna mount. It's intended for trunk lips and hatchbacks, but it fits and holds nicely on the driver's door just forward of the mirror:

Note: The K400C that I purchased is for PL-based two-meter UHF antennas. It's ALSO available for antennas with the NMO base and for 3/8-24 threaded antennas (i.e., most CB antennas).

I used a Comet SBB-25 single band (5/8 wave, 2-meter, folding design) antenna that looks sharp and works as well as it looks:

It folds easily for carwashes or parking garages:

Or you can remove it altogether and cap the mount:

I ran the coax through the auto transmission grommet per the instructions here. (That post SAYS it's the hood release grommet, but I believe it to be the transmission shifter cable grommet that's pictured.)

In all, a nice/clean installation that I think should work well for CBs as well as HAM gear. One steel bookend, plus the K400C from Diamond Antenna.

Quick Reply: Clever HAM or CB Radio Mount