3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need help getting rid of smoke smell....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Ridethespiral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok you are all gonna tell me im crazy for this but just hear me out. i got this from my mom.

i just bought my 05 dakota and the previous owner was a smoker as well. a dealer told my mom a trick a few years ago to get rid of smoke smell.

-take a paper bag and fill it with half a can of cheap coffee(nothing special, the stronger the better)
-cut an apple in half and put it cut side down on top of the coffee grounds. keep the other half for later.
-put it in your truck and park in the sun whenever you can.

i know it sounds crazy but i have been doing for about two weeks and the smoke smell is almost completely gone. your truck will smell like coffee while doing this but you can notice the smoke smell getting fainter.

Each bag lasts about a week and then you have to change it for a fresh apple and coffee. it worked for my mom and seems to be working for me. i figure i'll need about another week to completely get rid of it.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BMSJaX
put a gallon of vinegar in a 5 gal bucket and leave it in the truck over night.
You beat me to it. That is how my mom got the seafood smell out of her vehicle. Her and my step-father tried everything, and this is the only thing that worked.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM
sawfish
Professional

I have used some of the Hunter No Scent products to get rid of the smell on shoes (especially tennis shoes and sandals), furniture, etc.. I do not know why it would not work on cars. The product I used was called Dead-Down Wind, and you can get it at Bass Pro Shops and most sporting goods stores.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wash the glass

Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Red3G06Fwd

i managed an interior recondition/repair company for a little while and we used an ozone machine to rid smoke smells and any other smells, they are expensive but if you can find a company with one i dont think they will charge very much i think our price was around 20$

Old 07-21-2013, 09:00 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the seats are pourous so the smoke is embedded in them, along with the carpet, take it to a quality interior shop and have them detail the interior, tell them about the smoke smell, only truly way to rid the smell instead of masking it,

Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It was "dog" smell for me! The previous owner smoked and had a dog - a wet dog by the smell!

It was fine for the first fall and winter, then summer hit and the smell was awful (I smell like roses so I notice it all - LOL).

I went to Canadian Tire and got a "bomb" and followed the directions. I think it is the following - Turn on the A/C on recirc, full blast, close the windows, push the button on the can and close the door - fast. After 15 minutes (I think), open the doors and set the air control on fresh. Smell was gone and hasn't come back.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Dragon05
Veteran

Also, cleaning by a professional will remove the odor. Had to do it a lot on the trade-ins at the dealer I worked for in the 80s.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM
kenttt
Professional

"I went to Canadian Tire and got a "bomb" "

What kinda "bomb"?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kenttt
"I went to Canadian Tire and got a "bomb" "

What kinda "bomb"?
Train "bombs"?

lol Sorry OT, but I was in Windsor the past 12 days... and thats all I heard on the news about the derailed train explosion... CRAZY!

Quick Reply: Need help getting rid of smoke smell....